21 November 2022

Tarte Tatin

 

It was white and frosty underfoot when Rick and I set out this morning but there was a beautiful pink sunrise. Washdyke Lane was icy and slippery so I walked very carefully. I was hoping we would have some sunshine today but it is now very cold and grey outside, very wintry indeed. Sarah's swish eco-friendly, state of the art offices are having heating problems this morning so she is sitting at her desk with a fur coat on. She might be wishing she is back in Oz right now.


Yesterday I cooked a traditional roast dinner, chicken with bacon rolls, sage and onion stuffing, bread sauce and roasted vegetables. We had a guest with us from Canada so I pushed the boat out and made an apple tarte tatin for dessert.


tarte tatin


It doesn't look terribly pretty but it was just wicked. The butter and sugar had caramelised perfectly and it was such a nice way to use up some of the many apples I have stored outside in a shed. The tarte is easy to make, the hardest part is turning it upside down onto a plate as soon as it comes out of the oven. Paul is becoming very proficient at that part of the procedure. I even let him have seconds as a reward!


Arlene, our dinner guest, was very appreciative of the meal. It was the first time she had come across bread sauce and the tarte tatin was another new experience for her.



14 comments:

  1. What a scrumptious meal.
    Now that I'm on my own it's rare that I have a full roast these days - can't remember when I last cooked roast potatoes. I love TarteTatin, and have made them in the past. I don't make one these days as it's too much of a temptation and I'd sit down and eat the lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only ever make dessert when we have guests, unless it's fruit salad during the summer months.

      Delete
  2. Your roast with sauce sounds delicious and the apple tart looks like it came from a bakery in France. A cold office sounds not pleasant at all. For light weight warmth, consider buying Sarah some black silk 2-piece long johns from LL Bean. Silk is great for warmth underneath dress cloths and jeans. Great for winter sports too. I wear these regularly and have not found anything quite as good for warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've fixed the office heating now but the silk underwear sounds intriguing.

      Delete
  3. Your tarte tatin looks splendid. I must have a go at one myself. We have so many apples this year.
    By the way, I stumbled across this video today and thought you might be interested. I am not sure how old it is:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGFSfnemYRs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! Paul is a lucky man. I've never had bread sauce either. What am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an old British recipe - a milk sauce thickened with bread and flavoured with onion, peppercorns, bayleaf, cloves and nutmeg. Traditionally accompanies chicken and turkey.

      Delete
  5. Tarte Tatin is unbeatable. I too have to turn them over. Lady M doesn't seem to mind if I get splattered with scolding sugar, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a precarious procedure, usually needs two pairs of hands.

      Delete
  6. Dinner sounds wonderful and the tart looks really delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will also have to look up what bread sauce is. sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my reply to Chris. (I cheat and use a ready mix that I just add milk to!)

      Delete