19 November 2022

Saturday

 


I am currently relaxing and enjoying a glass of dry sherry while Sarah is in the bath and Paul is cooking supper. Actually, it's not sherry at all, it's the plum wine we made earlier this year but it tastes exactly like an Amontillado. 




I've had a lazy day. This morning I made a batch of yoghurt and then I gave Rick his weekly grooming session. He is very relaxed about being brushed and trimmed these days and he knows exactly what I mean when I call him for his “groomins”. He is a very different animal to the one we adopted back in the summer of 2017 – a four year old dog that had never played with a ball or a toy and was quite nervous about being cuddled. Nowadays he has indoor and outdoor tennis balls and always keeps Mister Bunny and Badger close at hand. He has also become something of a lap dog and every afternoon he waits to be invited onto the sofa for cuddles. I know I spoil him but he is my boy.




Time for supper now – cheesy cauliflower macaroni – lovely comfort food for a winter's evening.



17 comments:

  1. Sweet Rick. Look at his adorable face. He knows he is well loved and returns the love in spades. Yes, cuddles on the couch are also normal at my home. Some say, it is Caesar's couch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell in love with that face when the rescue kennels posted his photo on their website.

      Delete
  2. I recently found some beautiful Sherry glasses in the cupboard, so went out and immediately bought a bottle of 'medium dry'. I now do as you, and have my small glass before supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry sharpens the appetite, not that mine ever needs sharpening!

      Delete
  3. You took a leap into the dark with Rick and it paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a gamble but we got lucky.

      Delete
  4. Rick keeps his cuddly chums "close at hand"? Surely you mean "close at paw"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right, it should be close at paw.

      Delete
  5. Rick is absolutely gorgeous. So glad that he's settled so well.
    I'm going through the phase of getting to know a new dog after losing my Lab. Inca recently. My new girl will be 14 in January and has had a very unsettled life since her owner died last winter. Her "inheriting" family took her to the vet to be put down, but he wouldn't do so because she was a healthy dog. Since then, she's been passed round like a parcel, spending a few weeks with one family, and sometimes only a few days with another and so on, until she ended up in kennels for the summer. The woman who took her in last was a friend of her owner and was just giving her a short respite with home comforts before handing her over to an over-crowded rescue centre. A friend alerted me to her plight, so I went to meet her, liked her, and brought her home. I'm sure she thinks that this is only another temporary way station, in spite of my telling her this is her home now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear about Inca but how wonderful that you have given an old, unwanted dog a home. What breed is she?

      Delete
    2. She is a Golden Retriever cross, but what that cross is, I've no idea. She doesn't have those long floppy ears that Goldens have, but her coat and swishy tail are true Retriever.

      Delete
  6. Hello Sue and thank you for your kind comments over at mine. I didn't know you had a little dog - Rick looks 'well comfy' as they might say in Wales. Oh don't they get under our skin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick sends get well soon wishes to Oscar.

      Delete
  7. Make the most of Rick. They are with us for such a short time and leave a chasm. RIP my Ted aged 14 3/4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I treasure every moment with him. Time passes so quickly.

      Delete
  8. Rick always looks so adorable. I like the idea of your sherry tasting plum wine and the delicious sounding supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate far too much macaroni, it was sumptuous.

      Delete