14 November 2022

Armature

 

Step 1, the armature

You may remember that Sarah bought me a lump of mud for my birthday.  It was a piece of modelling clay and I have been waiting for the right moment to get creative.  Foggy November days seem like a good time to stay indoors and play.

My previous creations were a hare and a dubious looking kangeroo.  This time round I want to attempt a bust; I shall use Paul as a reference model but will not try and recreate his exact image.  The first part of the project was to make an armature, or framework to work around.  I asked Paul to insert a pole into a wooden plinth and then I have wrapped it with paper and foil; the next stage will be to slap a layer of clay onto this framework.  I shall start doing that tomorrow.  Such fun!

12 comments:

  1. As with drawing and painting, I guess it is very difficult to get a successful likeness with clay. This is a great project for grey November days and I look forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creating a clay bust sounds complex to me. I'm interested in knowing about your process and look forward to learning more. As the weather turns and Winter settles in, a creative project sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never done a clay bust before so it's all a bit experimental.

      Delete
  3. 'But will not try and recreate his exact image'. Of course you will! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, maybe. I think I will just be happy if it resembles a human form.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, I think it will be fun whatever the result.

      Delete
  5. It does sound like fun! Look forward to reports of your progress. Paul will be very proud to have a bust made in his image - but has he got time to sit still long enough for you to create a likeness!
    Years ago, I went to pottery classes and really enjoyed them. Some of the things I made I still have on the shelves here. Somewhere I have a kilo pack of self-drying clay, which I must use up. Last time I checked, a few weeks ago, it was still usable, although it's been in the cupboard for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think Paul realises he is the model yet!

      Delete
  6. Looks like Close Encounters of the Third Kind at the moment. You will, no doubt, keep us updated as it changes into Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will change into something but I'm not sure it will be Paul.

      Delete