8 November 2022

Riding Solo

 



Kat, Craig, Sarah and Paul are all passionate about cycling. Sarah picked up the habit last Christmas when she was here and has never looked back. I enjoy cycling too, but not to the same degree as my family.

Kat and Craig both cycle competitively in RAF teams. Paul and Sarah race via Zwift, the virtual system we have installed in the gym that enables them to compete against cyclists worldwide. They cycle outside too, taking part in the Lincoln Petit Grand Prix earlier this year. It was the first time Sarah had ridden in an event like this and she was thrilled by the experience; they both rode 76 kms in just under three hours.


By comparison I am a lazy cyclist. In the summer I enjoy riding around the countryside and taking in the sights. During the winter I find it harder, forcing myself to get on the bike in the gym three times a week. It would be easy for me to just sit back and put my feet up but I know how important it is to do this exercise. I am convinced that cycling has cured me of the chronic hip pain that I used to suffer from. Ten years ago I could hardly walk very far without discomfort. All that pedalling has strengthened my muscles and helped me to lose weight. I am probably the fittest I have been for a long time and I want to stay that way.

Paul and Sarah always invite me to join them on their weekend rides exploring the Lincolnshire countryside. Sometimes I decline, I find it quite disheartening watching them speed ahead and then slow down waiting for me to catch up. We have had some nice family rides though, with Kat and Craig joining us a couple of times. Happily Craig knows how to brake when he sees a pub so that is a definite bonus!



More often than not I venture out alone. I enjoy cycling solo, at my own speed with no pressure to keep up with other riders.


12 comments:

  1. Like you, I find non-competitive biking very pleasant. Biking on a country road with few or no cars is my ideal. Riding along and taking in all the views is very pleasant. Your group Pub stops sound excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some very quiet rural roads around here and not too many hills - ideal for cycling.

      Delete
  2. I was going to crack a joke about monthly cycles but thought better of it as it might not have passed the political correctness test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That joke is like my front tyre - a bit flat.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Far from it in reality but we do try and make the most of what we have. Everything can change so quickly.

      Delete
  4. It's good when a family has something fun they do together especially if it involves healthful exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great seeing my two daughters ride together even though the chatter is non-stop!

      Delete
  5. I agree about cycling alone. I no longer have a bike (bad knee) but I used to love just ambling about looking at things I hadn't seen from the car. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's faster than walking but slow enough to see things you miss in a car.

      Delete
  6. Cycling alone seems more attractive than with a group - especially if they are keen and competative.
    The only bike I've ridden in recent years was the exercise bike I misguidedly purchased from a friend. If I used it half a dozen times that was about all. Eventually I passed it on to another friend's daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I owned an exercise bike years ago, rarely used it as it was so boring just sitting and pedalling.

      Delete