7 November 2022

Identity

 


This morning Paul and I drove to the solicitor's office in Market Rasen. I needed to prove my identity before a solicitor (lawyer) so that certain monies could be paid into my bank account. Such a palaver but standard practice nowadays due to money laundering regulations. So armed with my passport and a passport size photograph I presented myself before the solicitor who filled in a form and photocopied my details. We expected a fee of £50 but he only charged us a tenner.

While we were in Market Rasen we called in at the Green Pantry (eco-friendly weigh your own/refill shop) to buy some bread flour and smoked paprika. It's a great shop, I love the smell of all the different spices. I noticed some pottery oil burners on a shelf and, as we left our old one in France when we moved, I decided to buy one. I like to fill the house with Christmassy aromas in the winter.



The lady in the shop reminded me that I would need tea lights for the burner but I assured her that I had loads of them at home. Paul thought I was mistaken and suggested calling in at the hardware shop to buy some. No, I was certain we had dozens. Of course, since coming home, I cannot find them anywhere. I can visualise the bag containing about 50 of the candles but I can't remember where it is. Looks like I shall have to wait a bit longer before the scent of cinnamon, orange and frankincense waft around the house.



8 comments:

  1. Like you, I'm dealing with the money laundering legal cautions and prove your identity in order to transfer funds. You can imagine the complications added when I'm in the US and the funds are coming from the UK. The UK wants my NI number and there is no such thing in the US. I'll get there but it's going to be a marathon. Your pottery burner is lovely. I suspect, once you buy the candles for the burner, you'll come across the ones in your house without even looking. It is funny how things emerge after a purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the rules are there to try and prevent criminal activities but it does make life very difficult for the ordinary person. Good luck with your transaction!

      Delete
  2. If you had bought new candles In Market Sultana, you would have been bound to find your old candles as soon as you got home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your solicitor was very decent about the identity fee as the standard rate is between £50 and £70. I used to hate the verification of identity that we had to do in my work when money laundering regulations first came in but with so much fraud these days I do accept that it is necessary. Good luck in finding the light thingys for the oil burner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were quite surprised that it only cost £10. Very unusual for a solicitor to be so generous.

      Delete
  4. Wasn't technology supposed to make life easier? In my experience it has made it much more complicated, I come across new examples almost every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More complicated and less efficient it seems to me.

      Delete