16 November 2022

More Practice Needed

I



I don't know who this geezer is but it's certainly not Paul!  I blame the model for disappearing into his garage after I started work.

I have learnt some lessons after my first attempt at modelling a bust sculpture.  Make the armature less flimsy (it was wobbling about all over the place when I started), use more clay and take more measurements.  He certainly doesn't resemble anyone I know -  the bulging eyes would suggest he's got a problem with his thyroid and try as I might I could not get rid of his pout!

I've put him in the spare room out of sight to dry out.






16 comments:

  1. No worries. When the model disappears to the garage creative license takes over. I'm sure you did better than I could ever have done. I like the side profile picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Susan - no way could I ever do anything as good as that and I am sure there is somebody somewhere recognising him as like their spouse,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right Pat, their husband would have very strange ears though.

      Delete
  3. I kept reading the post through to see if you mentioned the nose. Then I saw you mentioned it in reply to Susan. I was almost screaming "the nose!". He looks like Jasper Carrott. However I reckon it is really pretty good. I went to a day school to do this some years ago and didn't go back after the lunch break, I hated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I made his nose so big!

      Delete
  4. I think it looks like King Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is easy to see why you fell in love with Paul all those years ago. Please don't give up. The next bust will be better. As you say - you have learnt some lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't be taking commissions just yet.

      Delete
  6. That's a very creditable first attempt - well done!
    Have another go, but do you really need a bust of Paul when you have the real thing hiding out in the garage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have recognised him anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is perfect. If you made a whole family of them you could have an exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm not sure I could cope with a whole family of them though. Maybe something on a smaller scale.

      Delete