12 November 2022

MasterChef

Chris Finnigan, one of the contestants

Last night Paul went to his bowling club and I was home alone with Rick so I had control over the TV remote. I ended up watching 'MasterChef the Professionals' and was inspired by the wonderful and complex meals they prepared for the tasting panel (although the mackerel scorched with a blow torch did not impress me or the judges). I got up this morning with thoughts of making an agrodolce sauce and ballotine of chicken but in the end I just made some soup for lunch.

I made a carrot and blue cheese soup from some left over Stilton. It's funny how blue cheese always ends up lingering in the fridge for weeks on end. I cut some celery from the garden and added an apple, onion, small potato and two carrots to the pot, stirring in the cheese at the end. Not MasterChef cuisine but it was very tasty and warming on this cold November day.





8 comments:

  1. Excellent series again with the professionals. Some great cooks. I think Anna Haugh is even more bossy than Monica was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, she certainly knows what she's talking about.

      Delete
  2. Cooking shows are inspiring while watching. As a very basic cook, simple cooking works for me. I do admire some of the meals/deserts prepared on cooking shows and occasionally seek them out at a restaurant. Your soup sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am often tempted to be more adventurous with my cooking but when I see the long list of ingredients or complicated prep I always opt for something more straightforward.

      Delete
  3. The only blue cheeses I eat are St Agur and Sainsbury's Gorgonzola; neither ever go to waste. However, I can understand your Stilton being forgotten, it's often very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Stilton very occasionally after dinner with a glass of port but my favourite cheeses are Cheddar, Wensleydale and Cantal Doux...and Brie...and goats cheese. Red Leicester is nice too...

      Delete
  4. I haven't watched Master Chef for a long time, though I used to enjoy it. These days I find so many of the dishes pretentious.
    Living alone, apart from the dog, I can't be bothered to make complicated dishes from a long list of ingredients. I don't entertain these days - much simpler to go out for a restaurant meal with friends.
    I do make soups when the weather is cold enough, but they are usually from very simple ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm much the same. I don't like all the washing up of pots afterwards either.

      Delete