22 November 2022

Clumsy

 

It's quite common for older people to be a bit clumsy and less co-ordinated than their younger selves. Sometimes there may be a serious underlying reason for this clumsiness but more often than not it's just a natural decline due to age.  Nonetheless it is very annoying when you break an expensive wine glass or chip that favourite mug. Yesterday I noticed that the coffee maker glass jug had a crack in it, I guess it had been plonked down too heavily on the worktop or had maybe caught the edge of the ceramic sink.


A nice cup of filtered Italian blend coffee is one of our daily luxuries. We do drink instant coffee but every morning at 10.00 we enjoy a freshly brewed pot of 'proper coffee' together with a rock bun. Rick has a Dentastix chew at the same time. So, after discovering the crack we decided to order a replacement jug for our four year old machine.


The price of the specific jug was £15.99 plus postage of £7.00.  The price of a new coffee maker on Amazon with free delivery was £ 39.99. I dislike the modern world's throwaway habits but it seemed more logical to me to spend a few pounds extra and get a brand new machine.  It will be here on Monday.



15 comments:

  1. It does make sense to get the new one. Donate the old one as maybe someone has a perfect jug but a broken machine?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The price of replacement parts is ridiculous, but I guess the inevitability of economies of scale. In the world of motorbikes (odd analogy I know) it is way more profitable to 'break' a second hand bike into parts than it is to sell it as running machine - and I mean WAY more profitable. Largely that's because the individual new parts are outrageously priced.
    PS. I like rock cakes too - good choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Dyson needs a new cleaning head but the cost is ridiculous.

      Delete
  3. Do you remember the glass of red wine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which one? Haha, how could I forget. I spent so many hours scrubbing that carpet.

      Delete
  4. I spent more on fixing my stove (dodgy repairman) than getting a new one! Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it seems to be the way things are nowadays.

      Delete
  5. Everything seems geared toward buying new. New products are made to fail within a given time period. Manufacturers are not required to have replacement parts beyond 8 years. Being someone that likes to buy quality and keeping it forever, the new world order is unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More profit for the manufacturers if we have to replace goods every few years.

      Delete
  6. We use a simple Bodum Cafetière. It does the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have one of those too, they make a good cup of coffee.

      Delete
  7. There does seem to be a time when any household item reaches the stage that replacement is better than repair.
    I've had a Nespresso machine for the past five years for my one or two daily cups of coffee, so it doesn't get much use. There doesn't seem to be many breakable parts, though I may live to regret saying that! I still have two glass jugs from long defunct filter machines, which occasionally come into service if I'm making coffee for a crowd. It's like going back into the dark ages - using a plastic cone and filter papers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter has a Nespresso machine. I get confused by the choice of coffee.

      Delete
    2. One of the local supermarkets sells Starbucks pods, and I've found they make a good cup of coffee. I enjoy the selection, and not having to use up a packet of ground coffee!

      Delete