12 May 2018

Wet Saturday


After yesterday’s beautiful sunny day we awoke to grey skies and rain this morning.  The Saturday market was a rather glum, damp affair but we stocked up with wine, eggs and bread from the boulangerie. There was a new stall in the market square selling oysters. They looked lovely but I will not be tempted; the last time I ate oysters I was very, very ill afterwards.

When we got home I braved the rain and picked a few ripe strawberries, I didn’t want the slugs to get to them first.  The rain stopped for a while later in the morning so I spent some time clearing out some dead, woody bits and re-planted some ice plant and Sempervivum.  Paul has been busy cutting back rosemary and cotton lavender but is hampered by the fact that his favourite secateurs have gone missing.  We have several pairs of secateurs but only one pair that are really decent.  I expect they are hiding under a pile of cuttings or on a wall somewhere in the garden.  Or perhaps Rick has buried them.

I think I drank too much red wine because I fell asleep on the sofa after lunch.  It was still raining when I woke up and Rick was demanding his afternoon walk.  I did a deal with Paul, I would take Rick out if he lit the log fire, had a cup of tea waiting for me when I got back and made dinner tonight.  Rick and I got very wet but I think I got the best part of that deal.  Eau de Wet Dog is permeating the house as I write this.



12 comments:

  1. It has turned into wet Saturday here too. This morning was nice and sunny and warm. I am surrounded by all four cats at this moment but they are all dry, so no towelling down needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is horrid here today. I'm staying in with my whisky, chocolate and television this evening.

      Delete
  2. Wine, strawberry and wet dog make a pretty strong 'eau' I would guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as strong as the bottled Eau de Vie our neighbour makes.

      Delete
  3. I've had some delicious strawberries already this season! It's been gloomy here the past 2 days, too. Spray some perfume on your dog. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can buy special scents just for dogs.

      Delete
  4. We too lit the fire last night, and the room became far too hot. Weather doesn't look good for the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Eau de Wet Dog"? You should spray a different perfume behind your lugholes Sue. It is unlikely to put Paul in a romantic mood. Try "Evening in Paris" or "Youth Dew" instead - then he'll howl like a wolf on a moonlit night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think he would? I'll have to try some Chanel No 5.

      Delete
  6. Eau de Wet Dog" doesn't smell right..how about Eau de Chien Mouillé? Ok yes, still doesn't smell right :)
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eau de Chien Mouillé sounds better though.

      Delete