14 August 2018

Chocolate and Beetroot Cake


Yesterday I made chocolate and beetroot cake.  It is very rich, moist and utterly delicious.

There are lots of recipes out there for this cake but I use the Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall one.  It's very easy to make but I can never figure out how they give a preparation time of only fifteen minutes.  By the time I had grated the beetroot, measured all the ingredients and lined the cake tin it was more like forty five minutes!  Only twenty five minutes baking time though.

Today it was a moment on the lips and a lifetime on the hips.




15 comments:

  1. Lips & Hips; 'twas ever thus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd better take Rick for a longer walk.

      Delete
  2. That looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's chocolate it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does it taste like? Does it have anything superior over a straight chocolate sponge with chocolate icing? I cannot see any point in this combination. I love beetroot and consider it a salad item, or a the very least, savory. I also love chocolate cake. The thought of the two together fills me with horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beetroot is naturally very sweet and makes the cake beautifully moist. If you love chocolate cake I'm sure you would like this. You'd better come over and try some!

      Delete
    2. I may be a food heathen but it still does not sound good. Sorry, can't come to the house because you have a dog in situ and I don't like dogs that jump up.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful combination. I don't see a dollop of cream, so just factor in an extra long dog walk, you will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugh has an army of graters, cake tin liners, and sweaty brow wipers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't get my head around this combination but am willing to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it Chris and let me know what you think.

      Delete