24 September 2017

Parasol Mushrooms - safe or not?


Paul and Rick came home from their early morning walk triumphantly carrying two giant mushrooms.  They look like parasol mushrooms.  But are they safe to eat?  I consulted my Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain and Europe book; they appear to have all the characateristics of the edible Macrolepiota procera.



Then I turned the page and see they also look a bit like the poisonous Lepiota cristata, or Stinking Parasol!




No, not going to risk it.



15 comments:

  1. If in doubt, don't. A life of dialysis because of mushrooms. No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even expert mycologists are very wary about mushroom eating as it can be so hard to identify differences with certainty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There always seems to be a similar poisonous equivalent.

      Delete
  3. Cro would know. I'd give them a miss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What looked like 'real' mushrooms this morning but white underneath not the dirty pink, so once again leave well alone. To be honest, I'm not that bothered about mushroom omelette, much prefer cheese or ham and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like mushrooms and wild mushrooms are so much tastier than shop bought but I dare not risk it.

      Delete
  5. Be careful,better not to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours are edible Parasols, and they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly look very tempting but I think they're headed for the compost heap.

      Delete
  7. Mmmm...? Not sure. I'd rather eat stinking cauliflower.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I wouldn't risk it either. Next time you'll have to take Cro with you.

    ReplyDelete