26 August 2020

Splash of Colour


That was quite some storm that came through yesterday, torrential rain in the morning and very strong winds through the day and night.  Needless to say there were a few more blooms from the gladioli to rescue.  They certainly add some colour to my kitchen.  At this time of year there is always a large bowl in the kitchen with tomatoes, peppers, courgettes and fruit gathered from the garden.



The wind brought down a whole load of plums and apples, Paul raked them up this morning and put them in the compost bin.  A curious dog would easily get his nose stung by wasps if we left them on the ground.  There were still plenty of plums on the tree for me to pick.  I am very tempted to make the German Plum Cake suggested by Tigger (Tigger's Wee Blog) or Jenn’s Peach Pie recipe (coffeeontheporchwithme).  Watch this space.



Kat is moving around more easily now and accompanies Paul and Rick on their afternoon walks.  Today they walked up to the reservoir, the water level is still very low.  Rick would have loved to chase the ducks lined up on the opposite bank.




18 comments:

  1. e seem to have escaped the worst of that wind although plenty of rain. Pleased to hear that Kat is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A beautiful early morning today (Thurs) but feels a bit autumnal.

      Delete
  2. I love all those colors on your kitchen table! The vegetables are even prettier than the flowers. :) Good news about Kat! I was happy to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful glads and a good harvest of vegetables. You are fortunate to have rain to keep the gardens moist. I'm watering daily due to no rain. Great that Kat's feeling better. Those ducks look so good to Rick, he's at full attention. Handsome boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear your daughter is starting to feel better. Yes, those ducks are just begging to be chased! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very big group of ducks. (I just looked up what they are called collectively - a raft of ducks or paddling of ducks apparently!)

      Delete
  5. I wonder if your reservoir is filled with Crayfish? Maybe Paul should test the waters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could cook live crayfish.

      Delete
  6. I suppose that it's all regional but here in the NW after the amount of rain we have had I can only hope that our reservoirs are looking more filled than yours!
    Gentle exercise of a dogwalk is very good for Kat, so pleased that she is feeling able to join in, but perhaps not on the lead holding with ducks, bikes etc to produce a sudden surge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a deluge or rain on Tuesday but the beck that runs through the village is still just a trickle.

      Delete
  7. I miss the rain so much. Maybe in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a very dry summer in this part of the UK. The ground is still very parched.

      Delete
  8. The way the body can heal itself is quite amazing. I guess it won't be long before Kat leaves the convalescence home strictly run by Matron Sue with the help of her faithful handyman and vicious guard dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple more weeks I reckon. Rick will be heartbroken. The Amazon daily deliveries will be missed too.

      Delete
  9. That bowl of fruit and veg would make a nice little still life watercolour, as would the vase of Gladioli - which have a nice colour combination. Time to get the paints out again?
    Good to know that Kat is finally feeling well enough to go on the afternoon walks - a break from those jigsaw puzzles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking about getting my paints out again, but that's as far as I get!

      Delete