21 October 2018

Poppies


Why on earth did I volunteer to knit some poppies?  I was just trying to be polite but a knitting pattern, courtesy of neighbour Jenny, was pushed through my letterbox before I had even taken my coat off.

Luckily daughter Kat was home for the weekend and she said that she would teach me how to crochet some poppies and they would be done in no time at all.  So we drove into Market Rasen and bought red wool, black buttons and crochet hooks.

Kat showed me how to crochet.  She is right handed.  I am left handed and cack handed.  No matter how hard I tried I didn’t seem to have enough fingers to keep the tension or figure out which loop to insert the hook into.  In the end I gave up and Kat saved the day by quickly crocheting half a dozen poppies.

Life’s too short to knit a poppy.

I prefer puppies to poppies

18 comments:

  1. That is a quote to remember: "Life is too short to knit a poppy." I'm glad your daughter came to your rescue. You like to bicycle, don't you? Maybe there is a group that you could connect with through that. Or maybe just wait. You may just discover a friend by chance. Rick looks perfectly happy in that picture. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is plenty of time to make new friends, I'm not in a rush.

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of work for a poppy! I don't blame you a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine a bubble coming out of Rick's mouth saying 'Life is to short to crochet a poppy' too. If ever there was a look which says - somebody is neglecting me - that is it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He adores Kat, wants all her attention.

      Delete
  4. Sorry I have missed an o off that first to in Rick's quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can knit but crocheting has always given me trouble. I save my Legion poppies each year but they have now started to change to colour of the centre so you can tell who's been too cheap to buy a new one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kat made it look easy but I just couldn't get the hang of it.

      Delete
  6. When Lady Magnon was in London recently, I asked her to buy me one of the new metal poppies. The seller didn't have them, and she ended up buying a tiny metal poppy that isn't even red. I think I may do like you, and make my own. Yours look good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You say that you are cack handed but what exactly is cack?
    Thank heavens that the RAF teaches knitting and crocheting these days. After all, military aeroplanes are rather expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently cack is poo or dung! Kat has many talents (she can play the ukulele too).

      Delete
  8. I too used to knit but never got the hang of chrocheting. Thank goodness for Kat, those poppies look amazing.

    ReplyDelete