12 April 2018

Keep Calm and Carry On


The Eurotunnel and hotel is booked for next weekend but the days are moving incredibly slowly.  We have managed to sell one property again this week, and we have viewings on the coach house later today and tomorrow.  If we can get an offer on this place before next weekend we will be able to proceed on the Forest of Dean property.  No pressure at all.

I was so pleased for Kat when she got her posting to Cyprus, all that sunshine and sea.  Now, with the situation in Syria, I am worried about her safety.  I’m sure she’s fine but it just adds to my anxiety levels.  Enough of that, pull yourself together Susan.  I have nothing to be worried about compared to some people. 

I’ve been watching a lot of television during this wet, cold spell of weather.  My afternoon cup of tea is currently accompanied by an episode of The Crown, courtesy of Netflix.  I was surprised how entertaining this series (the life of Queen Elizabeth II from the 40s to modern times) has been.  Claire Foy and Matt Smith do a very good job of portraying the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh, they have their mannerisms down to a T.  The creators clearly use a lot of poetic licence but everything is historically factual or based on the gossip and rumours of the time.  Did Jackie Kennedy really describe the Queen as “incurious, unintelligent and unremarkable” after meeting her? Just the sort of light entertainment I need to keep me calm right now.







19 comments:

  1. Hope you get all your properties sold and the new one purchased. Try not to worry about your daughter, said the lady who worries about her daughter all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good heavens! If our queen was truly “incurious, unintelligent and unremarkable” then Jackie Bouvier-Kennedy-Onassis would be little more than a block of wood. Empty-headed, vain and impressionable, her contribution to making this world a better, more thoughtful place measured below zero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right lad! ( I was going to write in Yarkshire but realized that I could not spell it out 'rite'? )

      Delete
    2. She also called Buckingham Palace "second-rate, dilapidated and sad, like a neglected provincial hotel."

      Delete
    3. If that is true, she was very disrespectful and therefore did not deserve to be a guest in our country. If she had such thoughts she should have kept them in her own airhead.

      Delete
  3. My afternoons consist of A Place in the Sun, followed by Angel and Dick Strawbridge Life at the Chateau, or currently Dick helping other people at other chateaux. Great bloke. Don't know anything about The Crown, or Netflix. Countdown is on at the moment, and it will be Pointless before the News.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the first series of Life at the Chateau. I loved Angel's style.

      Delete
    2. The DIY programme helping other Brits with chateaux that Dick is doing at the moment, as mentioned also by Coppa below, is great.

      Delete
  4. I did enjoy 'The Crown' but only the first series as the Radio Times gave a free offer for Netflix at the time - being from Yorkshire I'm too mean to pay for it. I remember Mum and Dad worrying about us when we set off to live in Bahrain at the height of the Iran/Iraq war in the 80's - now I can see you never stop worrying about your children however grown up they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, you can never stop worrying about your children.

      Delete
  5. Glad you've had another offer so quickly - hope all goes well with the viewing of the Coach House, too.
    I don't watch afternoon TV, and only sit down to view when it gets dark. Our UK programme times are an hour ahead, but I've been watching Return to the Chateau - DIY, in the evening, which must be the same programme Rachel is watching - makes interesting viewing. It would seem northern France is peopled with Brits who own re-vamped, or run down chateaux !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch afternoon TV when we're in France, too busy outside in the garden or enjoying the sunshine.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like things are falling into place again, hope everything goes through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great! Things have a way of working out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie Kennedy said that! That's a bit much from someone who was paid handsomely (I believe it was £20 Million) to 'marry' some rich fat Greek bloke. I know who I would rather have had as a friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Queen subsequently put Mrs Kennedy in her place when she invited her to tea at Windsor Castle.

      Delete