2 June 2020

Strawberry Thief



fading peonies

Another 30 kms clocked up this morning.  We left the village via Barff Lane, the road was full of potholes and sandy soil from the fields but at least it was downhill.  We rode cross country, meandering upwards all the time to South Kelsey and then it was downhill to Brandy Wharf and mainly level riding from there back to home.  After my shower I jump on the scales expecting to see the numbers go down but after all this effort the reading remains much the same.  Apparently it’s because I’m building muscle!

We are making the most of this sunny, warm weather with lunches outside on the terrace.  The strawberries are ripening although yesterday I was disappointed to see that some creature had managed to get past the netting and steal all the ripe berries, chewed right down to the stalk. The temerity of it! Paul has now rigged up a more robust net so hopefully that will work.

netting to keep the strawberry thief at bay
Tomorrow the weather is going to be cooler and windier so no cycling.  I shall catch up on some housework instead!

the cucumbers are doing well

the foxgloves keep growing taller and taller



15 comments:

  1. That strawberry thief might well have been me had I lived nearer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a sweet variety Pat, absolutely delicious.

      Delete
  2. I think you are right about the muscle. It weighs more than fat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see those numbers go down a but I console myself that everything must be firming up a bit.

      Delete
  3. I suspect it's a Mouse. My father always said he planted 75% for us and 25% for the wildlife, but the wildlife tended to take a 25% bite out of everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could be right about the mouse, birds don't usually chomp right back to the stalk.

      Delete
  4. You'll have to put a separate strawberry plant nearby, with a sign that it's for "mouses" only!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're building up muscle? will we see you in the British women's weightlifting squad after the COVID crisis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you might see me in the Tour de France though.

      Delete
  6. What a thief to steal your strawberry.. I had some growing in a tub, which I was saving for my Friday night pudding treat after a hard week at work, but there weren't any, all snapped off and gone.. grrr the dog I had then, had breath that smelt of strawberries, I'd popped him into the garden when I arrived home, my friend couldn't stop laughing when I told her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs eat strawberries? Wow, maybe Rick is the culprit. I'm not sure I want to smell his breath though.

      Delete
  7. One of my Border Collies used to pick blackberries, though his mother looked disgusted when I offered one to her! So I would pick from waist high upwards and Todd would clear all the low-growing ones. My current strawberry plant (just the one, the last for sale) has been regularly nibbled by a snail, despite my midnight outings with a torch to remove any offenders. Now I have replanted it in a Growbag along with 2 tomato plants and so far it hasn't been touched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked a bowlful this morning, the new netting seems to have worked.

      Delete
  8. On our allotment plot a few big strawberries were almost all red with just a white tip so we decided to leave them one more day. The next day they were gone. I think probably slugs. We should have discarded the white tip and eaten them. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learnt my lesson, I pick them early and let them ripen completely indoors! There are too many critters out there after them.

      Delete