31 May 2020

More Cycling


Redbourne

This morning we cycled 30 kms – the distances are getting longer.  We rode out through the quiet country lanes of Snitterby and Waddingham and then crossed the A15 and climbed up towards Kirton.  Again, perfect riding conditions, although the horizon was a little hazy.  We were up high by Lincolnshire standards and could see the Wolds in the distance.  From Kirton we rode down towards Redbourne and stopped by the churchyard for a brief rest and a drink.  Redbourne is a pretty little village with a stream running through it; today there was a horse grazing on the green with a gypsy caravan parked nearby.

gypsy caravan

churchyard

From Redbourne we cycled back to Waddingham and returned towards home via Atterby Carr.  It is fairly level terrain here so I was cruising along at a fair old pace.  Suddenly  two racing cyclists swept by and left me standing.  Discouraging or what!   But as Paul pointed out, they were half our age.


Tomorrow Paul has another new route planned.  Oh joy!
 

19 comments:

  1. It is delightful to hear you visiting all those villages of my youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exploring south towards Hackthorn tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. You have to get out in the sunshine while you can. Who knows what kind of summer is about to happen? Not only is Paul your beloved husband, he is also your personal trainer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Close your blinds, don't say where you are going or where you live. I am pleased you are enjoying your cycling again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful. Wish I had the legs for cycling as it must be great exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard work at the moment as I'm not on form but hopefully it will get easier if I keep at it.

      Delete
  5. It's such a lovely way to see the countryside; the ones who swept past don't know what they're missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to pootle along so I can see what is around me but Paul doesn't like me lagging behind.

      Delete
  6. There is a local village with a 20 mph speed limit, followed by a short bit of 30 and then 40. The other day I felt rather intimidated in the car by four cyclists who were behind me and really wanted to go faster! You guys on wheels can be so super fit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the winter months all the big International cycling teams stay locally, and use the whole area for training. It's a nightmare, as they take no notice of any road signs, traffic lights, pedestrian crossings or traffic directions. They cycle as though they own the road.
    That gypsy caravan looks so idyllic - like something from a holiday brochure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were real Romany gypsies.

      Delete
  8. That traditional Vardo was beautiful! Life on the Open Road would seem preferable to Lock Down some days, the Wanderlust is strong again, even tho' we just bought our lovely Forever Home just as Pandemic hit! *Whew, dodged a bullet there in the Timing!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There comes a time in life when it seems wise to settle down and stay put. Not always an easy thing to do.

      Delete
  9. When I saw the title of the first photo, I thought...gosh they went a long way...we have a Redbourn a couple of miles from us here in Harpenden!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Harpenden, I did my nurse training at St. Albans.

      Delete
  10. Wow, how great to be able cycle, it must be a wonderful feeling, I'm very envious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great feeling when you're going downhill!

      Delete