26 June 2020

Stormy Weather

stormy sky above Lincolnshire

Beautiful sunny weather but the heat is quite stifling.  We have air con but it doesn’t extend to the bedroom so last night I left the door open to keep the room cool.  I slept well but the open door allowed the morning light in so I was wide awake at 5.00 a.m.  I decided to get up at 6.00 and take Rick out for a very early walk.  It was nice to be out so early to escape the heat of the day.  We didn’t see a single soul, the village was still asleep.

After breakfast Paul and I squeezed into our lycra and set off on our bikes.  We cycled alongside the River Ancholme; the track is a bit bumpy and potholed but it's a pleasant ride.  Ahead of us we saw a vehicle moving very slowly along the track.  It wasn't until we got abreast of it we realised that this was someone's method of walking their dog.  The poor animal was running alongside the car on a lead while the owner drove along the track.

As we rode I noticed the sky getting darker and it looked like a storm was closing in on us.  Paul wasn’t concerned by this but I decided that it would be wise to cut our ride short and head home.  I love watching storms from the safety of my home but I’m not too keen on being outside in the midst of thunder, lightning and rain.  We got caught out by two very big storms in Australia and I would never want to repeat that experience!

As it happened the dark skies didn’t materialise into anything.  Well I can’t be right all the time.


14 comments:

  1. Yes a good time to walk the dog Sue both for his sake and yours I would guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cool and wonderfully fresh at that time of day.

      Delete
  2. Normally a storm coming announces itself by thunder in the distance. Then you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had one rumble of thunder this afternoon and then it rsined for about ten seconds.

      Delete
  3. Need rain here! A storm would be ideal - please send your next one over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden is grateful for the rain for sure.

      Delete
  4. We had another storm last night. Huge hailstones were bouncing off the velux in the bedroom.

    p.s. I don't like people exercising their dogs like that. It's lazy, dangerous, and the poor dogs don't have the company they desire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps the dog walker in the car is disabled but what a waste of the planet's precious fuel resources just to walk a dog! He or she could pay a local teenager to do the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Cro, I just don't think it's a good practice.

      Delete
  6. The weather here is so boring. I would like some storms sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, there is nothing boring about English weather!

      Delete
  7. The man may have been unable to walk and also the dog may have loved it. I have seen this many times on farms and happy dogs. Adam did it with his dogs on Countryfile some years back.

    ReplyDelete