30 December 2020

Gates

 

Using ‘gate’ as a suffix normally refers to a scandal in some form or other (e.g. Watergate) but over the Christmas period my daughter, Kat, has used it in connection to a series of kitchen crises.

On Christmas Eve it was ‘hamgate’ after I burnt the ham.  On Boxing Day we had ‘pastrygate’ when the sheet of pastry for Paul’s salmon en croute got tangled up and had to be re-rolled.

Overreacting? Moi?
Yesterday we had ‘milkgate’ after a leaky bottle of milk was delivered with our groceries.  The milk bottle was put away in the fridge door where it quietly formed a pool of milk.  When I tried to remove the bottle holder from the fridge door it suddenly flew off and sprayed milk around most of the kitchen.

Today it was ‘parsnipgate’ when I discovered that the bag of parsnips that came with our groceries yesterday were in fact frozen.  They are now fully thawed out so it looks like I shall be making some parsnip soup with them.

I have tried to explain to Kat that my hysterical OTT reaction to these little crises is perfectly standard behaviour in this household but she seems to think that both Paul and I hugely over react to everything.  I wonder what tomorrow’s ‘gate’ will be.

 

 

20 comments:

  1. Careful if you pull the cork on a bottle of champagne! You don't want the next "gate" to be "put an eye out gate" Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had champagne today - it was Kat's birthday. No accidents or spillage with the fizz.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I only behave badly when I'm at home and have an audience.

      Delete
  3. I too was about to say it might have something to do with age - when I see Rachel has said it in a different form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it not the parents' job to embarrass and annoy their young adult children? We contribute to our childrens' discomfort by asking things more than once, requiring technological assistance, and telling them how it was more difficult when we were young. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take great delight in embarrassing and annoying my children!

      Delete
  5. What about the calamity that waits in the wings? It's all about maintaining your sense of humor. That said, you did experience a lot of gates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as everything is going smoothly in the kitchen something comes along to trip me up. I wonder what it will be today!

      Delete
  6. It all sounds like Blog-gate to me. Kat is right; parents are an unnecessary embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find these things funny. Our hamgate was that I thought I had one tucked away in the deep freeze. In fact there was no ham. We went to all four grocery stores in this town. The first three were sold out of hams. We got one, but the price made me wince.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been cooking hams for decades at Christmas, first time I have managed to burn one. Tasted okay though.

      Delete
  8. Forgeting to say 'White Rabbit' on the first day of the month & year AGAIN. Let's hope for a Happier New Year. Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not necessarily age, but you're retired, so "gate" episodes go with the territory.
    Happy Birthday to Kat, from one Capricorn to another.
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  10. How ironic that you're looking for the next 'gate' and you find another GOAT!
    I've had a few 'gates' recently but as I live alone, there are no witnesses - and no comments. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is another gate now - Black Icegate...

      Delete