13 April 2020

My Lockdown Days


Had breakfast (weetabix and muesli with a cup of tea) and then took Rick out for his early morning walk.  The cold wind was a bit of a shock after a lovely warm weekend.  There was no one about, not a single soul.  Just a few forlorn cardboard bunnies that someone has hung from the branches around the village.

Back home I baked a batch of oat buns for the freezer. Paul went outside to water the garden (we haven’t had any rain for weeks) whilst I put my dancing shoes on and practised a couple of routines in the kitchen. 

It’s now just after 11.00 a.m. and I’m not sure what to do next!  Groom the dog?  Paint the skirting boards?  Make a face mask? Write a blog?

The past two days have been very pleasant with the warm sunshine.  Sitting outside on the terrace was very relaxing but I did get a bit carried away on Saturday and sloshed a bit too much vodka into my glass of orange juice for pre-lunch drinks.  I had a dreadful headache in the evening that had nothing to do with the virus.  Shameful.


Our life at the moment revolves around Rick, the garden, food and drink. No great change for us really.  Stilton and broccoli soup for lunch today.  At the weekend I picked a huge bunch of parsley from the garden and made a pesto and chick pea salad.  It was wonderfully garlicky and went well with some cold ham and freshly baked bread.  Sorry, I get carried away when I start talking about food.

home made pesto

tastes better than it looks

What time’s dinner?


20 comments:

  1. My lockdown days flow effortlessly in a sea of contentment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know what day of the week it is though?

      Delete
    2. Yes, because it was my birthday yesterday and somebody has already asked me what day it is and I was able to answer without hesitation, on whatsapp, John asked me. I looked a mess but I have got eyeliner on.

      Delete
    3. I've given up with makeup for the time being. The false eyelashes have fallen off.

      Delete
    4. Eyeliner is carrying me through this lockdown.

      Delete
  2. What will your daughters think of you when they read that you have been guzzling vodka before lunch again? You are not Mother Teresa after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They know me, they led me astray years ago. (Actually I never drink vodka but the orange juice looked like it needed diluting.)

      Delete
  3. I made a chickpea salad last night! Different than yours: red onion, red and green pepper, capers, marinated artichoke hearts, feta cheese.
    You are eating well during all of this. I wish I had sunshine to sit in. It came out for about four minutes yesterday. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to improvise, I substituted the feta cheese with cheddar.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I had a load of parsley in the garden that needed using before it went to seed.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. He is happy to have us at home with him all the time.

      Delete
  6. What are oat buns? do they have yeast and are they something that would be easy to convert to gluten free. Yeast hard to get here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually they are cakes or cookies, not buns, as they don't have yeast. They are low cholesterol because I use sunflower oil instead of butter. The naughty ingredients are honey and some sugar.

      Delete
  7. It's trying to find silly things to do between meal times that makes one tired.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had to smile when I read this. It seems that most of us now lead very similar lives - no matter where we are!
    I'm out in the garden when weather permits, which is not often as it's been diabolical of late, walking Inca, or deciding what the next meal will be. A friend and I email one another daily to see how we are, and describe - in far too much detail - what we're going to have for dinner each evening!
    Another friend has just emailed me from the UK and suggested it's about time I got my paints out and started doing something more constructive than writing out my next shopping list! Can't argue with that - I think she's right.
    However tomorrow we are in for a big adventure - I'm taking Inca to the vet for one of her annual vaccines. First time we've been so far since lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought of you yesterday when I was watching a TV programme featuring Calpe.

      Delete