26 April 2020

Make Do and Mend


apple blossom

Our grand plans for the garden this summer have been put on hold for the time being until we can visit the garden centres again.  Fortunately the garden is well stocked with plants so we have plenty to play with for the time being.  


 
One particular purchase I wanted was an obelisk to support the climbing rose at the end of the patio.  Last year the rose flowered profusely and had to be propped up with canes to stop it flopping over.  Paul came up with the bright idea of using an old lamp stand in place of an obelisk.  The lamp was damaged during our move to the bungalow; the clumsy removers managed to completely break the neck of the lamp and it has been gathering dust in the garage ever since.  Paul made a couple of adjustments and now I have an obelisk!  Sadly it doesn’t light up at night!  I just think it needs a copper ball or something to sit on the top.


Next to the climbing rose is our tamarisk tree.  It has grown well since a harsh pruning last year and is now sporting pink flower buds.  I'm so pleased it survived.


the tamarisk tree with pink flower buds

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Paul has to take the credit for this idea.

      Delete
  2. I too think that that is a great idea. I love repurposing things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were going to say something about Dick and Angel when I saw the heading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Angel would say it needs something shiny on the top.

      Delete
    2. How about a Glitter Ball - Angel would approve!

      Delete
  4. Very clever idea for the obelisk! It looks good. The tamarisk flowers are very pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're lucky - for once - in that the Garden Centres locally re-opened last week. Later today I'm planning to go down and buy some plants to add to the very sparse selection spread about. It's mostly areas of tiling and gravel - a throwback to the time when we had three dogs who were hell bent on rushing round and destroying everything in sight!
    The obelisk is an excellent idea, so I hope that it supports the weight of the rose in full bloom. Don't forget to show us a photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the local nurseries are doing a delivery service but it's not the same as visiting and browsing around all the plants.

      Delete
  6. I think the icing on the obelisk cake would be a small garden gnome - just to add a touch of sophistication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would have to be a large garden gnome for real impact.

      Delete