23 February 2018

Hayrick



“Hayrick?  He’s called Hayrick?” said the elderly lady out walking her pug.
“No, we call him by saying ‘Hey, Rick’ ”
“Ah, I see. Eric, that’s nice name.”
..................................

Lovely sunshine for our afternoon walk but that wind is bitter cold.  It’s been a busy week looking for houses. We travelled over the Shopshire border into Wales on Wednesday to view a bungalow. The property was superb but the garden too small (although Rick would be able to run circuits around the bungalow) and there was noise from a nearby road. We came away disappointed.  The search is frustrating.  We had shortlisted three properties, one was sold before we could view and the other was removed from the market.



This morning I thought I had found an idyllic cottage in Somerset.  Paul does due diligence on all my ‘discoveries’ and on checking the satellite image on Google maps he noticed the property was surrounded by gypsy trailer parks.  Another ideal property showed there was an active quarry nearby.  At least three other wonderful houses had railway lines at the bottom of the garden and I’ve lost count of the number of houses that are situated on busy A-roads although Rightmove’s photographs would suggest that they are in the middle of extensive grounds in the countryside.  Sarah and Kat have been trying to persuade us to buy the Gothic Folly that we found in Grimsby.  We were actually tempted for a few minutes before common sense kicked in.  Or has it?



So the search continues and we are aware of the clock ticking.  We really want to find somewhere soon.




12 comments:

  1. Go steady - take your time is my advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is against us, we really want to find somewhere before we return to France for the summer. Prices seem to be rising again.

      Delete
  2. It would help if you had a burning desire to live in one part of the UK and only one part. Then you could concentrate your search. I think at the moment you would be Phil and Kirsty's worst nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha, you could be right. I always shout at those people on her programme.

      Delete
  3. Very sound advice from both Weave and Rachel.
    Take your time, and also consider the fact that you will have two properties both needing a great deal of attention, even if it is only day to day maintenance. I speak from personal experience here. Nothing worse than coming home from a happy time in one property, to be confronted by an over grown garden and sundry irritating repairs in the other. At the moment I personally think you have the balance just right. But appreciate that you need somewhere for Rick to run around. He doesn't need acres of ground to do that - and remember, you're not getting any younger !
    The Gothic Folly looks spooky - does it have a resident ghost?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want a big garden but I'm out-numbered by Paul and Rick! The Folly does look spooky doesn't it, and draughty!

      Delete
  4. Lady Magnon found the ultimate, perfect, house yesterday. She showed it to me; all excited. Grade 2 listed in Kent, it was simply stunning with 5 acres. The only problem was the price; 3 Million. She sent the details to our youngest anyway. He's thinking of yet another home in Zurich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take your time Sue. The right house will eventually found you. We've bought three houses in the passed: I fell in love with them on entering the front door; they all captured me. The right house will let you know if it likes you :)
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... Houses in the "past".
      x

      Delete
    2. Wise words Maria. I want to be able to 'love' my house.

      Delete
  6. I really like what Maria shared!

    I myself believe it's never good to rush into things.

    ReplyDelete