27 February 2018

Claggy Scones


The house search has been postponed until this snowy and wintry weather is out of the way and conditions improve for travelling.  I feel a bit in limbo at the moment; I’m not very good at waiting.

Paul and Rick went to school this morning so I decided to play good little housewife and do some baking.  I made a batch of cookies for the freezer and then made the easiest soup in the world.  (Chop an onion and some garlic, fry it for a few minutes before adding 2 tins of tomatoes, 1 tin of lentils, 1 tablespoon of tomato puree, pinch of thyme and 2 pints of stock.  Simmer for ten minutes and then give it a whiz with the blender.)


I then got carried away and made some cheese scones to go with the soup.  I shouldn’t have bothered, they were a bit doughy and claggy. I’ll stick with bread rolls from the baker in future.






16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought you would be an expert scone maker Pat.

      Delete
  2. You should be emptying the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, cooking keeps you out of mischief :)
    I made a thick carrot soup for tonight. Thanks for your tomato and lentil recipe, I want to try making it next time.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a quick and easy soup to make, just right for this cold weather.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woops. Today I'm making a soup which is half Tomato (my own), and half Lobster Bisque (Liebig); it too is remarkably good, but I never divulge the recipe. Well, sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your soup sounds delicious. (That Manor House was beautiful and so tempting but wrong side of the Channel!)

      Delete
    2. Oh.... you saw it then. I thought the link didn't work, so took it down!

      What a house, and only £400,000.

      Delete
  6. The soup looks and sounds delicious, so I'll make a note of the recipe. I bought some fresh coriander, so I'll make a batch of Carrot soup to go with it.
    My scones are very hit and miss, too - some of them would break your teeth !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear that other people don't always manage to make light and fluffy scones.

      Delete
  7. I beg to differ. That is not the easiest soup recipe in the world Sue! This is the easiest.
    1. Step in pantry
    2. Get can of soup from shelf
    3. Remove lid
    4. Pour soup into saucepan
    5. Heat up soup on hob
    6. Pour soup into bowl
    7. Drink soup from soup spoon or eat the soup if it is thick.
    8. Fall asleep on sofa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a recipe Mr Pudding, that's just slothlike behaviour!

      Delete
  8. I've decided that scones only work out well when I'm in a good mood!

    ReplyDelete