27 December 2022

Over Indulgence

 

Mince pie and a glass of sherry, Christmas music, smoked salmon and prawns and a glass or two of sparkling bubbles, roast turkey with all the trimmings followed by plum pudding (accompanied by a glass or two of red wine), Christmas films and a few more drinks pretty much sums up my Christmas day. We had a Skype session half way through dinner with Kat and Craig; they had the day off and were waiting to go out for a meal with their squadron in sunny Cyprus.



I was, of course, busy in the kitchen in the morning but everything went very smoothly. So it should when you consider the number of turkeys I've cooked over the years. I wouldn't have it any other way; I've spent two or three Christmasses away from home and it's never felt quite right for me.



Boxing Day was another day of eating and drinking, I made Bubble and Squeak from the leftover vegetables (I adore eating this stuff) which I served with cold turkey and ham. When Paul served up sausage rolls and gyozas in the evening I had to decline, I just couldn't eat another crumb. No more wine for me either.

Now there is a lull before the New Year arrives and then hopefully Sarah will get the keys to Rose Cottage on the 3rd January and we will be busy helping her move and set up home.


20 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great day, as did we. lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abundance and holiday celebrations seem to be pretty common. Your holiday sounds great. We are eating leftovers for one more day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last of the turkey went into the freezer today for curry at a later date.

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a perfect family Christmas. Lovely to see festive photos of you all.
    It's a long time since I've cooked a whole turkey with all the trimmings, and wouldn't even want to attempt it now! Went out for a traditional meal on 25th with friends - great company and no washing up afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos, I love the one of Sarah. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seemed to collect more and more stuff in her hair as the day progressed.

      Delete
  6. Sounds very similar to what went on "chez moi". What are gyozas?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2nd Boxing day without Bubble & Squeek, and so far I havn't openned the half bottle of Monbazillac that came with us 3 1/2 yrs ago. Maybe next year. Best wishes for 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boxing Day doesn't feel right for me without Bubble and Squeak.

      Delete
  8. It all sounds perfect apart from Kat and Craig's absence. Mind you, I could be mistaken but aren't "gyozas" goat testicles? Not for me I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year Sue, your family and Rick and your readers. May 2023 be happy and healthy for all.

    ReplyDelete