12 December 2022

Cold

 

Saturday before the fog arrived

There is widespread snow across the country but none of the white stuff in Lincolnshire, just freezing fog. Sunday was Paul's birthday and he wanted to go out for lunch to an eatery on the banks of the Humber Estuary. Usually there are wonderful views across the river but yesterday there was just a total cold blanket of fog with fingers of white mist curling up across the embankment wall, quite spooky really. I had volunteered to drive home but the fog was so thick I accepted Sarah's offer to take the wheel, her young eyesight is better than mine in those conditions.


On Saturday I baked a Whisky Dundee Cake, something I traditionally do at Christmas time. I think I must have added the eggs too quickly but something went wrong and the mixture curdled instead of going creamy and fluffy. The cake tastes okay but a bit chewy, when I dropped a piece it bounced straight back onto my plate. I think I might have invented a new game!



8 comments:

  1. It must have been a bit disappointing to have no view at the eatery. This is a good reason to have a second meal when the view will be good. Lucky Paul, he'll have 2 B-day celebrations. Last night we got a dusting of snow and the ground is white. The sunshine on the snow is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we shall wait until summer before we go back.

      Delete
  2. Who can bounce their cake the furthest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so disappointed it wasn't light and fluffy.

      Delete
  3. I hope you got Paul something nice for his birthday - like a new string vest and a knotted handkerchief for the summertime. Were you in Barton-on-Humber?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to the west at South Ferriby, although it was difficult to see exactly where we were in the fog.

      Delete
  4. I can see two plinths that are awaiting your talents!!!

    ReplyDelete