7 July 2018

Turn Around When Possible


My RAF daughter, Kat, has come down for the weekend, she is currently stationed at Cosford.
I asked her if she’d had a good week.  That was when she sheepishly confessed to getting stuck up a mountain.

Kat is a clever girl but has absolutely no sense of direction.  She once missed a business meeting when she took the wrong direction on the motorway and ended up in Exeter instead of Leicester.  On Tuesday evening she drove from Cosford to meet a friend for a picnic in the Malvern hills in Worcestershire.  Of course it wasn’t really Kat’s fault that she found herself half way up a mountain track on her way home.  Sat Nav told her to take the next turning so she took it.  Kat quickly realised her mistake. “Turn around when possible” said Sat Nav.  Unfortunately that wasn’t possible with a steep bank on one side and a sheer drop on the other.  She gingerly drove on up the mountain track, hoping that there was a turning point ahead.  Further and further she drove in the evening dusk.

Suddenly her knights in shining armour appeared in front of her – the fire brigade!  A fire engine had been patrolling the area and had spotted Kat’s dilemma.  They helped her turn the car around and marshalled her down the mountain.  The fireman asked her where she was trying to get to.  He had a very wry expression when she answered “the M5?”


19 comments:

  1. I take it she is not training as a navigator in the RAF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand that, i am like her and i drive a lot, I am lucky that our country is so small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Navigation systems are not foolproof. There was a case close by where someone literally drove off the end of a pier into Lake Huron. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't trust them, I prefer to look at a map.

      Delete
  4. Getting the speedway to shorten time but, miss a turn off and then have to drive for a further 30 minutes before the next turnoff. Done that!
    Kat was very brave and she kept her cool; I think I would have panicked.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was lucky to meet the fire brigade.

      Delete
  5. Bit like the man who stopped to ask a local how to get to a particular place and was met with the answer 'well if I wanted to go there I wouldn't start from here.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually had a conversation like that!

      Delete
  6. Yikes, did she get lucky though! I hate driving in the mountains! I hate even being driven by someone else in the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to think where she might have ended up, scary.

      Delete
  7. Can one sue Sat Nav? They seem to cause an awful lot of problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might have been user error in this case.

      Delete
  8. Perhaps she was just looking for a short cut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, navigation is not Kat's strong point.

      Delete
  9. SatNav has caused many accidents. Kat is lucky that Fireman Sam was there to help her. Perhaps it is true what they say about blondes. Ooops! (I forgot that Kat's mother is also blonde)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading on your answer to my today's post Sue - I am glad I am not the only one who is totally lethargic and desperate for rain.

    ReplyDelete