12 October 2021

Thirty Seven Years

 


I found this old photo in the attic the other day when I was looking for something - I still have that ball gown wrapped up in my wardrobe.  Memories of when Paul and I were young and looking forward to our lives together.

 

Today we are celebrating our wedding anniversary.  Thirty seven years ago we quietly got married in a registry office in Salisbury, before flying off to Brussels for a weekend honeymoon.  I’m not sure why we picked Brussels, I think Bruges would have been more romantic.  I remember the weather was dull and damp and then I got food poisoning so it wasn’t the best of starts to our marriage.  Since then we have had a lot of fun and laughter in our lives, blessed with two beautiful daughters and many happy memories.

 

Our village pub, The Crown, is re-opening soon; we would have gone out for a meal today if it had been open.  We briefly considered going to Cleethorpes for fish and chips on the pier but quickly decided against that. So we are eating at home - mussels in cream and garlic with a glass of sparkly for lunch, rib of beef with truffle jus (courtesy of M&S) for dinner tonight.

 

I’m a lucky girl.

 

Paul prepared the table, including the rose petals and candle!

 

30 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! May you have many more happy years together! 🍾 🥂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quiet memories are just as special. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great photo! Wishing you and Paul all the best on your anniversary. When the right pub/restaurant opens you can celebrate again. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be nice to have somewhere to dine out within walking distance of home.

      Delete
  4. You look like a prince and a princess. Happy anniversary and many more days like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like a princess in that lovely gown Yael, I used to love dressing up.

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary. Enjoy your food and fizz and celebrate again when there is somewhere nearby open.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many, many happy returns to you both. The meals sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely meal, (we even had candle light!).

      Delete
  7. That's a great photo although not as I imagine you but special occasions are special occasions when we dress up. I went to Brussels once with Peter. We also wondered why on earth we had chosen it. Congratulations on the anniversary. Time flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Manneken Pis was really disappointing!

      Delete
    2. The Grand Place was extremely disappointing.

      Delete
  8. Happy anniversary, so important to celebrate anniversaries and have date nights. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary! The meals sound delicious, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food and wine were excellent although we are slightly feeling the effects of rich living today!

      Delete
  10. 37 years - quite an accomplishment in this day and age. You are obviously well suited to each other. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul is my husband and, most importantly, my best friend.

      Delete
  11. Happy Anniversary Sue and Paul! Thirty seven years is a remarkable achievement and you still seem so lovely and happy together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations. I too had 'stomach problems' for my wedding (in Gibraltar). We had previously spent a while in Tangiers and unwisely eaten some street food.

    I am really looking forward to scouring the shelves at M & S food dep't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you bring some tins of duck confit back with you. And plenty of wine of course!

      Delete
  13. Congratulations - what a lovely way to celebrate.
    Lovely photo of the two of you and that's a beautiful gown.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary, the meal sounded delicious and each time I see that M&S advert for their beef with their truffle ju my mouth waters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely but the beef was very rich.

      Delete