8 July 2021

Where there's a will there's a way

 

The carpet for the loft room arrived this morning.  I looked at the 4 metre long roll (that is over 13 feet!) and wondered how on earth we were going to man handle it up through the narrow hatch into the attic.  Paul told me not to worry, we would manage it somehow or other.

To get it inside the bungalow it had to come straight through the front door and into our bedroom.  Then reversed out and persuaded to bend round at a 90 degree angle into the hallway.  There wasn’t enough clearance at the top of the loft ladder so we had to approach the hatchway from the angle of the bathroom.  To get it into the bathroom we had to go straight into the kitchen, swing it round and head into the sitting room, swing it round again and head straight through the inner hallway and into the bathroom.  Are you still with me?

 


We finally managed to get it pointed in the right direction and with Paul pulling from above and me at the bottom pushing upwards we finally managed to get the carpet into the loft room.

final push

Phew!  Paul has spent most of the day laying it and cutting it to size.  Meanwhile I have been recovering and researching spiral staircases.

 

 

12 comments:

  1. I laughed Sue because I read 'spiral' as 'spinal' and expected the next word to be 'injuries'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily nothing was broken in the process!

      Delete
  2. Oh dear - we have a loft room to carpet and I've just realised we will have the same problem... mmmm... call in an expert I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a certain satisfaction gained from doing these things yourself. That's what Paul tells me anyway!

      Delete
  3. Nothing ventured, nothing gained....and you certainly were up to the task. Well done, both of you. I am sure it will be lovely once in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too daunting once we'd figured out how to do it.

      Delete
  4. You have incredible will power and strength. The length and weight of the carpet must have been half the battle and then the ladder entry added tremendously to the challenge. Amazing work. A spiral staircase sounds good to me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not terribly strong but very stubborn!

      Delete
  5. I remember helping to deliver a Grand Piano to the Dentist's wife in V dy Pd; in around 1975. For some reason it had to go to the first floor, and it couldn't go through the inside of the house. We eventually had to remove the upstairs window, and winched it up from the street. The woman committed suicide some time later, but I don't think the piano was responsible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be quite a common method with Grand Pianos.

      Delete
  6. You should have got Mr Shifter and his crew round - you know the one I mean - from that PG Tips commercial of long ago. Sounds like shifting the carpet into the loft made for a good workout.

    ReplyDelete