22 March 2019

Village Life



Spring must be here because there are newborn lambs frolicking in the field behind the village hall.  They are all black as the ace of spades.  As the lambs mature their fleece will turn white with the distinctive brown marks of Jacob sheep.

Jacob sheep and lamb

At coffee morning Rocky, one of our neighbours, explained to everyone in detail with great authority how, if a sheep has triplets, the third lamb will be given to the mother of a single lamb,  smeared in the afterbirth of  that single lamb so the mother accepts it as her own. 
“Didn’t know you were such a country boy, Rocky” said Paul.
“I’m not, I saw it on Countryfile.”

I was just relieved for the conversation to move away from funerals and broken hips.


I have been making an effort to get involved in village activities but it's clearly not enough.

"Are you sure you don’t want to join the Line Dancing group on Friday?  How about swimming on Tuesday?  Pilates on Thursday?  You must come to the Book Club surely?  Ladies Luncheon Club? Do you think it would be a good idea to start a Gardening Club?"

I am just very protective of my free time and don’t really like committing to something on a regular basis.  Dog walking, gardening, cooking and cycling keep me very busy and entertained and for the rest of the time I’m just happy doing nothing!


20 comments:

  1. I have the same problem here,I like my free time,can't commit myself to regular activities here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice thing about being retired is not being tied to any commitments.

      Delete
  2. Know the feeling with that last paragraph and I don't live in a village but a small town. Yes, it is good to have places to go but I agree there is a limit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art club and coffee morning is more than enough for me right now.

      Delete
  3. Just so long as you are content with what you've got that is fine. At least you know things are there is you ever want more. We have a lot of small village things here too but coffee mornings etc. are not for me but I support the musical evenings, visit exhibitions in the Church and Christmas events but that is all I feel happy with doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee morning helps me to touch base with neighbours without having to call round their houses. It doesn't come naturally to me though.

      Delete
  4. I'm the opposite - need my calendar full. This week has been difficult as the winter fitness classes are over and the Spring classes don't start for a couple of weeks. Of course, I don't have a dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like my neighbour - she does something every single day!

      Delete
  5. Those sheep are sort of the reverse of a Dalmation puppy growing up into it's spots. Nature is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We should never feel obliged to join in with activities; only to take part if (and when) we desire. Maybe you should invent a Bunbury; an ailing Aunt who lives with you and requires constant attention. You never know when she might be needed! My own Bunbury works overtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel I am missing out on stuff, but I'm probably not.

      Delete
  7. It's best to pick and choose what you want to do.
    However I've found that dog walking has always been a very good way to meet people, and some have remained friends over the past 40-odd years I've had dogs. My limit is a small Art group, and getting together with friends for coffee.
    You would only be missing out on things you would really like to do, but are not able to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Coppa's girl, haven't seen you here for a while!

      Delete
    2. No, alas, I spent much of last summer in hospital (no internet) having treatment for an abscess on my spine and in spite of a few weeks rehabilitation, came home unable to walk, with an army of carers - sadly not free on the Spanish NHS. Strange having to learn to walk again! On the mend now, with just a slight blip when I had my replacement hip op. at the end of January - thankfully successful, and almost back to normal (whatever that may be !). Downside is not being able to walk very far, especially with Inca, my Lab., and still needing some care, fortunately minimal now.
      The very worst thing was being parted from Inca, who spent almost four months in kennels, and must have thought I'd abandoned her !

      Delete
    3. Sorry to hear about this CG but I am pleased that you are on the mend and back in the blogging loop.

      Delete
    4. Oh my goodness, you have been in the wars. Hope your recovery continues well. You must have been distraught at having to be parted from Inca. I bet she gave you a big welcome home.

      Delete
  8. I think it is great that your village has so many opportunities - even though you are a private person, protective of your independence and your time. Being part of a village community you need to opt in to one or two things or they'll think you are aloof and they'll surround your house holding burning torches, chanting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing my best but I expect the torches and chanting will come.

      Delete
    2. Paul will protect you from the mob.

      Delete