29 March 2019

Sunshine Days

St Nicholas Church, Snitterby


What a glorious day!  Blue sky and sunshine from morning until dusk. 

No excuse not to get the bicycles out today.  We set off after breakfast and did a short 13 km round trip.  It felt good bowling along the roads at a fair speed but a bit tougher as we turned into the wind.  We rode through Atterby, Snitterby and Bishop Norton, the pretty villages providing welcome relief after long, straight stretches of road. 

The garden is still springing surprises on us.  Our latest discovery is the stunning Pieris Forest Flame, at least that’s what I think it is.  Pretty clusters of white flowers and flashes of red. 




Yesterday Paul and I went to a big garden centre in Brigg.  It was a massive place, the display of plants was almost overwhelming.  It was bizarrely home to an array of exotic animals.  The models were animated, as Paul found out when he touched the elephant’s tusk.  The elephant raised his trunk and his ears started to flap and Paul jumped about six foot in the air.  We resisted the temptation to buy an ostrich or dinosaur for the patio and settled on a cordyline plant instead.


P.S.  The bear rug will not be necessary after all, an application of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide worked like magic and has made the stain on my carpet almost invisible.

19 comments:

  1. I would love a big dinosaur or elephant in my back yard! We've actually looked at a few collector's items that have been rescued from amusement parks, but they're ridiculously expensive. So nice that you can ride through all those villages. And great news about the carpet! Will have to remember that method!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a huge assortment of life size animals but incredibly expensive. Fun though.

      Delete
  2. I love those village names. It is so interesting to find out how place names developed. A lot of ours are Celtic or Viking so quite unusual. I am surprised that you didn't buy the elephant. He would have been a lovely addition to your garden I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We couldn't get the elephant in the car.

      Delete
  3. That Pieris Forest Flame looks a bit exotic for Lincs and sounds even more so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Difficult to pronounce with a Lincolnshire accent!

      Delete
    2. I fixed up some insurance with a Lincolnshire company the other day and had to ask the lady to keep repeating things because I couldn't understand her. Strange accent of North meets Nottingham meets The Wolds meets The Wash.

      Delete
  4. Bishop Norton brought back memories. One of my best friends at school came from there in the far distant past.
    There are several Pieris plants out on our estate at present - it is such a pretty plant. I am thinking of getting one for a new bed I am making.
    Snitterby church is unusual - have never been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some very pretty churches around here.

      Delete
  5. You can have a party on that white carpet now that you know!!...Those village names are straight out of StoryBook England to me. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some great village names around here.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Hydrogen Peroxide! Thanks for posting this....I will get some to keep on hand (just in case my Resolve doesn't work)....Plus, I bet it's great for other tough spills/stains! Love your garden pics! We are just barely starting to see some "green" of spring here in Illinois...still too early for me to unwrap the deck umbrella or put furniture out there, but it's coming, slowly but surely.....60's today with thunderstorms...So tired of winter! Come'on Spring! Must just add I do love your bear rug! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take care with the hydrogen peroxide - it has a slight bleaching effect so could remove colour.

      Delete
  7. I also think that the names of the villages sound as if they are taken from an interesting story, at least for me that can only imagine how beautiful they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many pretty, unspoilt English villages around here Yael.

      Delete
  8. Great fun, but I wonder what Rick would have made of an elephant in his garden !
    The plant looks like a Pieris - I had a couple in the garden back in the UK - lovely shrub.
    Glad you've managed to clean the stain from the carpet - nothing worse than spoiling something brand new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Rick would have kept the elephant well watered!

      Delete
  9. Well done for removing the stain in the carpet. That garden centre sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised the mark came out as well as it did. I shall drink white wine in future.

      Delete