12 March 2018

In The Doldrums



My blogging is in the doldrums. My whole life is in the doldrums.  House buying and selling is a stressful time and I’m not dealing with it very well.  This time last year we were touring sunny Spain before heading north to a long summer at our French home.  Right now we are cooped up in our flat watching the rain come down.  Bah! I need some wind in my life, if you see what I mean.

At the moment we have no date in sight for returning to France.  Although we have sold our coach house, we also have another ‘investment property’ to off load and this house is proving to be a tricky sale. Until we have a firm offer for both properties we cannot sensibly view any other houses.  So everything seems in limbo and I can’t plan anything.  I guess if we don’t get an offer within the next few weeks we will pack up and return to France anyway. It just means another long car trip with Rick if we need to come back to sign papers and look at properties.   

The day is getting worse.  Paul has just gone to the supermarket and there are absolutely no frozen peas left to buy! In fact this new Tesco ‘superstore’ is still suffering from the effects of last week’s snowfall and hasn’t caught up with their stocking, half the shelves are empty. Perhaps it’s just poor logistics but it makes you wonder how this country would cope if there was a bigger crisis than just bad weather.


I’ll go now before I make you all depressed just reading this!


20 comments:

  1. I know just how you feel, Sue! Bad weather makes it worse. I hate the feeling of limbo that you describe.

    Here's hoping this week brings you sunshine, an offer on the house, and a return to a cheerful state of mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer but the weather forecast is not looking good!

      Delete
  2. All bar one piece of actual signing all my last house sale paperwork, a few months ago, was done via email and for the one signature bit the papers were posted to me and I never went near the solicitor. I am sure the post between France and England would be fast enough for it. After all it always takes longer than they estimate, so what's another day or two on postage. You do sound gloomy. Cheer up, it could be worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worse, I've got a stinking cold and cough too!

      Delete
  3. It will probably all soon 'come together' and be fine! Our Tesco was just the same the other day - not sure why it's taken so long to restock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will be fine, I'm just getting impatient and bored.

      Delete
  4. I feel a bit that way myself today for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the weather helps Pat, and you know all about the moving game.

      Delete
  5. An "investment property"? Are you and Paul playing real life "Monopoly"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope and wish for you that everything will be better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yael, I'm sure I'll perk up soon.

      Delete
  7. I hope this period goes through fast and all the pieces fit in smoothly.
    Get well soon Sue
    Greetings Maria xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lie down on your most comfortable sofa, get Rick onto your lap, and think of sunshine. That should do the trick. You're not missing much here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheer up Sue, I'm sure everything will soon be resolved to your satisfaction. Buying and selling is so stressful, and the time spent waiting is frustrating, but I do hope you find a buyer for your other property very soon.
    The weather here in Spain has been very mixed so far this year, and we've had cold spells with snow on high ground. Yesterday was a beautiful warm and sunny day, but today is wet with grey skies, though it does look as though it might brighten up later.
    After the very low temperatures since the new year, I've invested in a pellet stove, due to be installed tomorrow, and am assured by friends that from now on the weather will continue to improve, and I shan't need to use it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were in Calpe about a year ago and the weather was lovely. Our neighbour in France had one of those pellet stoves installed, they are very efficient I believe.

      Delete
    2. They are efficient, and easy to clean, but need electricity to run a fan to circulate the heat.

      Delete
  10. I think it's just that time of year. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you are right Jules. At least you had some snow to play with!

      Delete