13 July 2020

A Long Ride





Yesterday we cycled 35 kms so I was hoping for an easier ride this morning.  Paul thought otherwise and we ended up doing 38 kms.  There are some days when I wake up feeling a sense of joy if it’s raining and we stay at home!

Today we rode north through Atterby, Snitterby, Waddingham and Redbourne.  At Hibaldstow we turned right and cycled past the airfield and sky diver centre and continued across the flat farmland towards the River Ancholme.  
River Ancholme leading towards the Humber Estuary

 A sign warned us that the road ahead was closed and sure enough, when we reached the river the bridge was closed to traffic.  When you look at the photograph you will see why! 

fire damaged bridge across the river

Fortunately there was a way across for pedestrians so we wheeled our bikes across and then continued cycling along the track by the water.

Hibaldstow Bridge

We eventually came out on the road to North Kelsey, a pretty village to the north of the Lincolnshire Wolds.  We were now cycling against the wind and when it started to rain I just focused on getting home as quickly as possible to a hot cup of coffee.  Paul couldn’t see why I was making a fuss about a few drops of rain and a light breeze.  From South Kelsey we dropped down to Brandy Wharf, back to Snitterby, Atterby and then home for coffee….and cake!

17 comments:

  1. Paul is like your personal trainer. He sounds a bit like Mark Cavendish to me. He's the single-minded champion cyclist from The Isle of Man. Take it easy Paul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is my personal trainer. A bit harsh but very encouraging, and not as temperamental as Cav. He also rewards me with chocolate.

      Delete
    2. Chocolate? He may be grooming you.

      Delete
    3. Ah, method in Paul's madness, giving you chocolate! He knows that you'll have to cycle with him, just to burn off the calories!
      Next time the weather looks a bit iffy, suggest he has a helmet camera, and goes on his own. Then on his return you can enjoy the scenery from the comfort of your sofa! Of course, you won't get any chocolate!

      Delete
    4. It's hardly worth it for just one finger of a Kitkat.

      Delete
  2. You do long rides. I spoke to my former neighbour one Sunday morning and she had just cycled 40 miles out and 40 miles back with her dad, for a Sunday ride. She did Lands End to John O Groats 6 months after giving birth. She completed the journey, her husband had to give up. She was one amazing woman. Your ride scenery looks very Lincs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kilometers sound so much further than miles! (Twenty three miles doesn't sound so impressive.)

      Delete
    2. I once did the London/Brighton ride. It was the hottest day of the year, and neither my son or me had done any training. I'm amazed we survived.

      Delete
    3. That's quite a distance - it's 54 miles I believe. I hope you had a soft saddle.

      Delete
  3. I am so envious hearing the names of all these familiar Lincolnshire villages. If you ever get as far as Somersby I think there are mementos of Tennyson in the church (there were fifty years ago!)and if you cycle through Tetford please take a photo for me. I spent many happy holidays there as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the map I think it would be a 100 km round trip so a bit far for me at the moment. But you never know!

      Delete
  4. Curious to know how long your round trip took. I would be exhausted doing even a fraction of it, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon it took us about an hour and a half. We stopped at the bridge for a brief rest.

      Delete
  5. The first rule of cycling (and sailing as it happens) is that the wind is always on the nose. Tough going when it brings rain in with it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I should get some sails for my bike! Usually I like to ride against the wind on the outward leg and then get it behind me on the way home.

      Delete
  6. A bit further and you would have arrived at Tightwad Towers. I didn't know the bridge was in that condition. Not been that way for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know when it happened but someone torched a car and a van on the bridge causing the damage. A wicked thing to do to such an old bridge.

      Delete