15 February 2020

Humdrum


I haven’t blogged for quite a while now.  Life is a bit quiet at the moment and some days it’s just hard to think of something new to write about.  I’m perfectly happy with this quiet life.  It probably wouldn’t suit a lot of people but I like my routines, I enjoy being in my new home and I like being part of a village community.  Perhaps it’s a sign that I’m getting old!

This wild weather keeps us indoors except for when we battle the elements to take Rick out for his twice daily walk.  This afternoon it started to rain as we turned for home and Rick set off at a trot, not at all interested in sniffing every blade of grass or drinking from the puddles.  He wanted to be back indoors.

It was wine, pâté and freshly baked bread for lunch.  We are really missing the delicious pâté we used to buy in tins in France.  Pâté in the UK seems to come in jars or packets with a limited shelf life.  So when we spotted a tin of pâté on the Polish shelf in Tesco we thought we would give it a try.  We opened it today and, well, it was perfectly palatable but tasted more like Spam than anything else.


The crusty bread was delicious but maybe a bit too crusty, Paul lost a filling.  Looks like next week won’t be so quiet -  a trip to the dentist, a trip to the vet for Rick’s annual jabs, a bowls match for Paul, coffee morning,  quiz night on Thursday and dance class on Friday.  Hectic!


28 comments:

  1. Yes, we're spoilt for choice here. Even so, there's only one tinned Paté I buy, which is wonderful. The rest I make myself.

    Billy has started running for home even without the weather. We get a certain distance away from the house, then suddenly he's gone. I usually just see a black and white object racing for home. Very annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we discovered the French one after you recommended it. Billy obviously loves his home, some dogs don't like to be away from their territory for too long.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a busy week ahead for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also had that Polish paté and thought it was more of a meat paste than a paté. Glad you are both enjoying yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was curious to see that everything in the Polish section was much cheaper than elsewhere in the store.

      Delete
  4. Quiet life always seems a wonderful life to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always appreciated living in a quiet and rural environment. I am not a city girl.

      Delete
  5. Luckily we have a very good Deli in our little town and they always have about four different pates which they sell by the chunk. Irresistable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local farm shop sells a good pate but the tins were just handy to keep stored in the cupboard.

      Delete
  6. I rather think that the bowling green will be quite water-logged when Paul participates in the bowls match. Wearing wellies and a wet suit may be advisable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing it's held in the village hall then!

      Delete
  7. I'm sure P could make pate if he put his mind to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Forget all that pate nonsense, you are a Lincolnshire Lass now.
    Stuffed Chine, Brawn, Savoury Ducks, Haselet and a good Lincolnshire Pork Pie should be on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had stuffed chine or haselet before so I shall look out for it now.

      Delete
  9. I happened on your blog as I was trying to find out the name of the sculptor of several massive nude outdoor statues in Cahors in the early 2000s. No luck with Google except for your blog which drew me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that statue in Cahors; it was the day we adopted our dog, Rick, from the refuge.

      Delete
  10. Oh bless you, pate that tastes like spam...that sounds like the kind of day I have! It is a fact of life that as you get older, you have to watch hard foods, like crusty bread, nuts, granola bars...etc. Believe me, I found out the hard way myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dentist once told me that crusty bread is the worst culprit for breaking teeth.

      Delete
  11. Forget all that pate nonsense, you are a Lincolnshire Lass now.thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhhhh, spam pate . . . . at least we have New Zealand corned beef to spread on our Cobbs crusty bread here in soggy Surrey!! I feed pate to the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes we need to seclude ourselves from a busy schedule and have some quiet life, away from all gadgets and social media and have some meaningful time with family or into the nature. I believe there is nothing more important than a good, safe and protected HOME. Thank You, Sue!!! Stay Blessed and Happy Always!! 😊 Find some great wedding pictures @ http://www.bloghasting.com

    ReplyDelete