6 July 2024

Japandi Bedroom Makeover

 

Do you want a break from politics and British summer weather? Read on...

Another mural? Are you pulling my leg?”

Colin was back last month to decorate our master bedroom. I was quite fond of the Laura Ashley Iris wallpaper that was here when we moved in almost six years ago but Paul disliked it and it was his decision to finally get the room redecorated. On a whim I ordered a Japanese style mural back in February and have since discovered that Japandi (a fusion of Japanese and Scandinavian) is very much the thing right now.


before - with Laura Ashley wallpaper

In preparation we took the oversized pelmet and full length curtains down and the room instantly felt lighter and more spacious. I am tempted to just keep the Roman blinds in the bay window without curtains but even with blackout lining they don't completely keep the room in darkness when we are sleeping. Just not sure what to do with the window dressing yet. The original wardrobes were boxed in and the natural wood colour goes well with the mural. I am pleased I took a stand against getting them painted or replaced. 



A low level wooden platform bed would definitely be in keeping with the Japandi trend but then I think about bruised shins on the edge of the bed and low level is probably not wise at my age.  How about a slatted headboard then?  Nope, too much dust would collect.

So at the moment it's looking very minimalist and fresh. Not everyone's cup of tea but I'm very pleased with the result. Rick's old bed has been banished from the room and he now happily sleeps on a futon like rug. Perhaps I should buy Paul a kimono.







8 comments:

  1. Love it! I like oriental theme decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding! You chose well and it looks very minimalist and high styled in a zen sort of way. I do love Japanese art and own a few pieces. The birds in flight and temple in your mural are lovely to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. It's certainly a change from Laura Ashley wallpaper.

      Delete
  3. Wasn't there a song about 'going Japaneezee'. I think you should be singing that on your way to bed! Over here we'll be sticking to our usual bedroom décor of Mosquitoes and Centipedes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mozzies and centipedes - my nocturnal nemeses when we lived in France!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely room!! Well done!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete