24 April 2024

Spring

This spell of cold weather is getting tiresome; a blast of Arctic air streaming from the north down the east coast has created bitterly cold conditions.  I am still wrapped up in winter gear when I take Rick out for his early morning walk and I just feel so sorry for the young lambs huddled up against their mums in the sheep field.  Still, we always knew that Lincolnshire was not going to be a tropical paradise when we moved here and, some consolation, I see that it's just as cold in the French Perigord this week.

Paul is having to cover all the Hostas and wrap things up in the greenhouse at night.  Tender new growth on the Fatsia Japonica has been burnt by the late frosts but there is abundant blossom on the apple trees so it looks like we shall have a bumper crop of apples later this year.

Wishing for some warm, dry weather so we can sit outside and enjoy the garden.








15 comments:

  1. I think we are all fed up with the weather this year. Your garden looks beautiful as does Rick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks excellent. The warmth and sunshine is slow to come this year. Spring continues to be cool and rainy. Light rain is predicted for today. I suppose, without notice we will suddenly start to have high heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rain here today but bitterly cold.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you have a lovely garden! My garden is overgrown with weeds right now but it has been too chilly and I have been too achy to get out there to pull them. I'm thinking of hiring a service to get rid of those weeds but I hate to give up that outdoor activity. I'm afraid if I do less out there, then eventually I will be able to DO less and less out there. Does that make sense?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely makes sense. We've tried to make the garden as low maintenance as we can but it's still a lot of work.

      Delete
  4. I think it will be some while before you get warm weather to sit outside, unless you have a windbreak, in Norfolk or Lincs. Although my car tells me it is 9 degrees today the air chill factor makes it feel more like -9 degrees. It is bitter. There is cold and there is cold and our area of the country has cold all of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's been even colder down in France than here. We turned off our central heating back in March, and are still not feeling cold. The house interior remains at 19-20 C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our heating is definitely switched on this morning. Brrr!

      Delete
    2. My wife has turned ours back on this morning, she's predicting cold for the next few days.

      Delete
  6. It's warming up here in Texas...soon, it'll be too hot.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your property is just beautiful! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn, it's certainly very pretty at this time of year with the apple and plum blossom.

      Delete