19 October 2020

Nothing Much To Talk About

 




Autumn has arrived in the garden. The leaves from the Poplar trees have started to fall. Paul has cleared his greenhouse and the vegetable plot is empty apart from some late spinach and a few Brussels sprout plants.  We brought the cushions from the garden furniture back indoors a few days ago to put in the attic room - a definite sign that the summer is over.  There are still a few splashes of colour in the flower beds; the Salvia was a new addition this year and has done really well.

Salvia (with Rick  in the background)

 The Amazon man delivered a present for me this morning, it was a kneeling pad for indoors. 

 

 
Apparently you can use it for doing yoga or praying but I shall be using it for more practical reasons.  My ceramic tiled floor in the kitchen looks great but is a bit of a pig to clean.  My steam cleaner just seems to move the dirt around and my latest purchase - a Bissell with rotating pads – also has disappointing results.  In the end I have realised that the best method is a good old fashioned mop and bucket.  Rick likes to spend a lot of time underneath the table and that area gets particularly grubby so I have to get down on my knees and use a scrubbing brush.  I’m hoping my new pad is going to make that chore a whole lot easier on my knees. 
 
 

16 comments:

  1. The splashes of colour in your garden look lovely and very cheerful for an autumnal day.
    I think I'd be praying that the mat was useful!
    Is your ceramic floor non-slip tiles? If so, then it will be difficult to clean. I have a large area of garden and steps, tiled with non-slip and they never, ever look really clean - there are always one or two that defy even the heartiest blast with the pressure washer! I wanted the same non-slip finish in the kitchen and bathrooms, but was advised against them as they were difficult to clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We deliberately chose tiles that had a slight relief so that Rick wouldn't slip on them! Too late now, I will just have to get used to scrubbing them.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I too love that late splash of colour in your garden. As to Rick and his contribution to the grubby floor - I am sure you think he is worth it The thing with grubby floors I find is that no-one else notices them even though they might loom large in your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Pat, I'm the only one that notices.

      Delete
  3. You could also use the kneeling pad to whack Paul when he has displeased you in some way. Hold the handle, swing it round your head and then "Yaaah!" WHACK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might just give that a go but it would wear out in no time.

      Delete
  4. Tiles can be slippery for dogs and humans, so I think you were wise to go with the textured kind, despite the difficulty keeping them clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would definitely find it hard to stay upright on a shiny, smooth surface.

      Delete
  5. Wise purchase. I think a kneeling pad will make the job a whole lot less painful. I use a kneeling pad out in the garden, which helps me a lot. I just can't squat down like I used to (or if I do, getting up after being in that position for too long is NOT pretty). I like the salvia. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a garden one too that doubles as a seat with handles.

      Delete
  6. Love the cushion, Maybe you should get Rick to help you wash the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The late Fall color in your garden is beautiful. I, too, have a dog and try to keep my off white kitchen tile floor clean. After many trials, I now use Clorox in water and a sponge mop to clean the tile. Clorox and water requires no rinse. Quick and easy. The question is: long term, am I destroying my tile floor? So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't tried bleach on the tiles but I do add vinegar to my cleaning solution.

      Delete
  8. It looks my swimming float that I used when I had lessons. I now use it as a kneeler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps that's something else I could use it for!

      Delete