1 May 2017

Moving House




No, not us but our daughter Kat.  Tomorrow we start the long drive back to England to help her pack up and get her flat ready for renting out.  In a few weeks time she gets her first RAF posting and she will be living on base (she is hoping it’s Brize Norton (Oxfordshire) and not Lossiemouth (Scotland).


Her flat will be let unfurnished so we need to try and find a home for her furniture.  Storage costs are colossal so we are going back to try and squeeze her stuff into our garage and attic.  I am also going to sacrifice my dining room and turn it into a bedroom for her.  We will be rather squashed for a while but we have other plans long term.  Kat has promised me that she has reduced her extensive shoe collection.


We will shut up house here tomorrow and set off early in the morning, overnight in Paris and then catch an early Eurotunnel train on Wednesday.  The worse part of the journey will be the M25 (busy) and the M4 (boring). Thursday morning the removal man is delivering empty boxes so that we can start packing.  Kat has kindly said she will let me clean her oven for her...

Removals will be a week Monday, new carpets going in on Tuesday or Wednesday and then we shall hopefully hand over the keys to the property agents and hot foot it back to France.  I’m looking forward to a long, hot, lazy, carefree summer.


20 comments:

  1. Don't know about the Scottish base, but Brize Norton is a nice base in a beautiful area, we've rented a cottage there several times. Good luck on the packing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lossiemouth is a long way north and not too easy to get to. We have our fingers crossed for Brize.

      Delete
  2. I take it you mean this is happening totally on the English side of the Channel. Good luck and good luck to your daughter with the letting agent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her flat is about 14 miles from our place in Calne. It's going to be a hectic few days.

      Delete
  3. Hope all goes according to plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plan is a bit fuzzy round the edges!

      Delete
  4. Wishing you the very best of Pickfording and that you have set up a relaxing massage followed by a nice long bath afterwards ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good parents you are.I am so bad in packing my daughter will never ask me to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a good packer, I've had plenty of practice.

      Delete
  6. That is so kind of Kat to allow you to clean her oven! Don't forget to don your Marigolds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavy duty Marigolds, the stuff I use to clean ovens is lethal.

      Delete
  7. You won't be missing much here, very erratic weather forecast for while you'll be away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope I don't miss out on the strawberries.

      Delete
  8. It was my priority to recharge spoons while continuing to sort everything else out. It must be a nap-proof sofa (one that you can nap on), while there are no other comfy surfaces! low cost long distance movers

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!. local movers los angeles

    ReplyDelete
  10. You completed a few fine points there. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will go along with with your blog. pasadena movers

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am unable to read articles online very often, but I’m glad I did today. This is very well written and your points are well-expressed. Please, don’t ever stop writing. fischervanlines.com

    ReplyDelete