20 May 2017

Fickle Weather and Food



The weather forecasters promised me sunny spells and the odd shower later in the day so after breakfast I persuaded Paul to get togged up in his cycling gear and accompany me on a bike ride.  He wasn’t too keen, he said it was too cold and it was going to rain.  Nonsense, we need the exercise.  I dressed in my lycra, put on my helmet and gloves, grabbed my water bottle, opened the door and it immediately started to rain.

“Told you so,” said Mr Smug. No bike ride today.


It’s Saturday so my day off from cooking.  Paul is preparing Chicken Malay Rice for supper.  For me this dish is all about the intense flavour of the rice, you don’t really need the chicken.  The rice is pre-cooked and allowed to cool before frying with caramelised onion, red pepper and spices. For a vegan version we just leave out the fried chicken or add tofu.  It’s one of my favourites.

the poached egg is optional
Tomorrow should be the start of a week of sunshine so I’ll try getting out the lycra again in the morning.


24 comments:

  1. Rain forecast here too but it never eventuated though the temperature is more than ten degrees less than yesterday. ( and much more my style ) We had an easy day today. Tony watched the Aussie Rules football ( he has a special ap) and I waa shed and blogged and looked at Facebook. You need a down day now and then, this tripping about can be quite tiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A day off from sight seeing is probably a good thing; you will feel refreshed for the next leg.

      Delete
  2. I mean I washed not waa she'd !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was your Aussie accent!

      Delete
  3. I thought it was never too cold for the serious cyclist !
    What a brilliant idea to have a day off from cooking. My other half has no idea how to work the ceramic hob or oven, and the microwave could be an alien being from outer space !
    How did you get Paul so well trained, Sue ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was the Malay Rice thing good? I would have it without the poached egg: it seems out of its natural habitat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious. The egg just gave it an added richness.

      Delete
  5. Was the Malay Rice thing good? I would have it without the poached egg: it seems out of its natural habitat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any meal cooked by someone else is a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I had read all the Mr Men books by Roger Hargreaves but I don't remember Mr Smug. Was he the one who was married to Little Miss Fusspot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he probably was. (Paul thinks your comment is very funny.)

      Delete
    2. Eric Morecambe said if he could make a Norfolk audience laugh he knew he'd made it.

      Delete
    3. Mildly so. Not exactly rolling across the floor.

      Delete
  8. I rather agree with Rachel, the poached egg looks superfluous. However, the rest looks delicious. Back to good weather today for at least a week or more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good day for the Lumberjack ChampĂȘtre.

      Delete
  9. It said sunshine here for today but it is dull, breezy and quite chilly so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunny here this morning and warming up rapidly. (We had a log fire last night.)

      Delete
  10. The Chicken Malay Rice looks delicious, I also like the plate; very attractive and pretty.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought the dinner service with vouchers when the girls were young. It's always been my favourite.

      Delete
  11. Just getting caught up on my blog reading. Never trust a husband with scissors around eyebrows .Love Skype, our daughter lives in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will know the heartache of having a daughter so far away.

      Delete