28 May 2017

Cherry Ripe




Another hot sunny day, quite windy too.  This heat is surely building up to a storm later in the week.
Last year the fruit was still within my reach on our young cherry trees but this year I had to persuade Paul to climb a stepladder to pick the few ripe cherries on our tree.  It wasn’t a massive haul but plenty for our lunch time dessert.  

We tried out a new chilled rosé at lunch time so I probably drank a bit more than was wise.  Paul went indoors to watch the Monaco Grand Prix and left me outside on the terrace, sipping my rosé and listening to some gentle jazz.  I drifted off nicely until I awoke and came face to face with a panting, slobbering Diane the Dawg.  She is in her element today as both Philippe and Monique are having lunch parties; it’s the French equivalent of Mother’s Day today.

A pair of swallows have kept me entertained this afternoon, I am constantly amazed at their flying skills.  They have been having fun exploring the barn and are now sitting on the washing line preening their feathers.

We completed and sent off our postal votes for the General Election yesterday.  There is no escape from politics, even in this French idyll.


17 comments:

  1. Warm weather, sweet fruit, a drink in hand ain't life grand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you also grow the strawberries and raspberries? It sounds like a perfect afternoon. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of strawberries and raspberries at the moment. Later in the summer we will have blueberries and plums. No peaches this year thanks to the frost.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like my favorite kind of day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when my ex and I had some swallows nesting over our back patio. What messy birds they are. Hope you never have to deal with that. But overall, sounds like it was a wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep them well away from the house.

      Delete
  5. Hot 33degrees here in Innsbruck today. Good thing we could escape to the mountain top. No what we wanted for our European holiday ! Looks like warm weather ahead for Paris too. Darn !... but we'll be VERY glad to be eating French food after Austrian / German food. Not to our taste at all and we're dying for some veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This heat is quite unusual. Hope Paris isn't too hot for you.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. No, the tree has grown. Although I might have shrunk a bit.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful fruit - I could just eat that right now !
    Sadly, we are once again denied the right to vote in the forthcoming General Election. So much for the PM's promises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit nervous about the result. Unsettling times.

      Delete
  8. We are hearing lots of good things about your new President. I hope he can live up to all the press he is getting! He seems to have taken to our Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau.
    Similar weather here - I sat out for some time this afternoon after my gardening chores, but with just a glass of cold water - it was so hot! Now I am into the wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early days for Macron but this election is for the British PM. More gardening for me today, strimming! It will be hot work.

      Delete
  9. I fell off the top of my step ladder last year whilst picking cherries; this year I shall use an ordinary ladder. Ours still aren't ripe, nor are our Tayberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was standing at the bottom of the ladder ready to catch the cherries, er - I mean Paul, if he fell.

      Delete