26 May 2017

Cold Scotsman's Bottom

no basket ball this summer



It was beautifully warm when we went out cycling this morning through the woods.  In fact the woods have disappeared.  They have been cropping the chestnut again and there were just a few tall pines left.  Everything will soon grow back though. I saw a young fox run out in front of us and then disappear along one of the woodland tracks.  We dropped steeply down into the valley and the temperature suddenly turned quite icy before we climbed Scotsman’s Hill and came out again into the warm sunshine.

“Scotsman’s bottom was very cold this morning wasn’t it,” Paul said.  I nearly fell off my bike giggling after he said that.

The heat is rising as the day progresses.  I picked strawberries and raspberries and we had lunch on the terrace.  I have spent the afternoon mooching around the garden, dead heading the roses, reading a bit, and just absorbing the sights and sounds of summer.  Laaaaazy!

 

I'm not too sure about the psychedelic petunias

passion flower peeping through the leaves

my bed for the afternoon

the ferns are doing well from last year

the sparrows favourite roost at the top of the barn



19 comments:

  1. Everything looks beautiful and peaceful there! I especially love the picture of the sparrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be peaceful if the sparrows didn't make so much noise!

      Delete
  2. I like the look of your bed area for the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have two pots of the same petunias. Now I know what they are! I like anything with colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul chooses the petunias and I get to choose the geraniums.

      Delete
  4. Sounds idyllic to me - what better way to spend the days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky,it's a pretty good life.

      Delete
  5. Hope the bottom warmed up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I put Busy Lizzies in some of our pots, then when Lad M returned from Oz, she took them all out and replaced them with Petunias. I'm not good with flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul likes to do his own thing, I don't interfere too much.

      Delete
  7. May is my best month for sights, sounds, scents, and smells from farm fields.
    Your home is very pretty; seems very peaceful there too.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think May and June are my favourite months.

      Delete
  8. It all looks idyllic - not so with 'sounds' though when i think of Scotsman's Bottom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we should re-christen it Fern Gully or something more poetic!

      Delete
  9. I wanted to say it was idyllic, too, but many comments have already used that description already! I long for some heat, here. I hope you enjoyed yourself that afternoon, taking it all in. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful part of the world, far from the madding crowd.

      Delete
  10. The Scotsman must have been wearing his kilt!

    ReplyDelete