22 June 2017

Woodland Foraging

which way round for luck?


This morning Rick took us up past Monsieur Hichard’s farmhouse, past the teacher’s house and up into the chestnut woods overlooking our hamlet.  Our new walking boots felt very comfortable. The  first thing we found was a shiny horse shoe, I think it had only recently been thrown. I picked it up and brought it home to hang on the barn door, they are supposed to bring you luck aren’t they?

Then I noticed the spotted woodland slug feasting on a mushroom.  It reminded me of the hookah smoking caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland. There were mushrooms everywhere.  I gathered a few that looked edible to take home, I shall check with Philippe to see if they are okay to eat.


extraordinarily large slug on a mushroom




are they safe to eat?

new draught excluder for the door

petunia display on the barn wall



16 comments:

  1. They look like magic mushrooms to me. You'll be seeing Cheshire cats and playing cards that can talk... just like Alice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be the alcohol, not the mushrooms.

      Delete
  2. Slugs and snails terrify me said the lady who lives with snakes and alligators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the odd snake around but fortunately no alligators!

      Delete
  3. Gathering mushrooms that "look edible" terrifies me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wouldn't actually eat them unless we are 100% sure they are safe. Philippe knows his mushrooms.

      Delete
  4. Now that's what I call the perfect draught excluder !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'd make a good mop for the floor too.

      Delete
  5. The only mushroom I would trust is a puffball. Do you have those there? They look like big round spheres of white, about the size of a small volleyball. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. There were plenty of Cepes and Girolles about until a week ago. Yours certainly look like they're from the 'Bolitus' family, but which ones I can't tell.

    Rick certainly looks 'chez lui'.

    ReplyDelete