14 June 2017

Stormy Weather

chestnut trees against a stormy sky


We got up early this morning because Paul wanted to go for a bicycle ride.  I thought this was a bit excessive after his recent days of hard physical work but he was insistent.

“The sky looks a bit stormy.”
“No, it will be fine”
“Are you sure because you know I don’t like being outside in a thunder storm.”
“No, meteo haven’t forecast any storms.”

We did a 21 km ride, over to Frayssinet, back along the valley bottom and then a steep climb.  The biggest rabbit I have ever seen ran across the road in front of us, shortly followed by a grey squirrel.  It was like something out of Alice in Wonderland.  As we emerged from the woods I noticed that the sky had turned ominously black and decided to increase my speed.  When the first rain drops fell and the wind started I pedalled even faster and we managed to get home just before the squall hit.
“Timed to perfection” said Mr Smug.





Yesterday I made some chilled homemade lemonade that I decanted into a pretty bottle in order to impress Rick and the ladies from the dog refuge.  It was stiflingly hot yesterday so the cold drinks went down a treat.  This morning I realised that getting the pieces of lemon out of a narrow necked bottle was not going to be easy.  I’ll use a jug next time.

Philippe mowing between his vines



15 comments:

  1. What bizarre weather! The meteo said hot all day; and what do we get? Thunder, lightning, rain, and wind. Tomorrow should be OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now we've just been swimming.

      Delete
    2. It's crazy, it was roasting hot this afternoon.

      Delete
  2. I hate thunder storms and we have a lot of them here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only experienced severe thunderstorms a couple of times in my life. I don't mind a little thunder, but not like THAT. Glad you got home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got caught in some very scary storms in Australia. They can be quite impressive here in France too.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful hot day here and it's only June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got sunburn this afternoon (shoulders and back) helping Paul do the dog fencing.

      Delete
  5. Can almost taste that lemonade - it looks so refreshing.
    Big day tomorrow, so lots of photos of the little chap please. A friend has just shown me a photo of a 4 month old yellow Lab puppy that has been abandoned at a local rescue, because his owners didn't want him anymore. Heartless people. It's so tempting, but then I realise I'm well past my third (or even fourth) flush of youth, have a dodgy knee, a bad hip and hubby is languishing in hospital with a broken leg ! Otherwise I'd be round there like a shot !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited. I've got dodgy knees and hips but a fully mobile husband. What happened to your hubby?

      Delete
    2. Don't laugh, but he literally fell over his own feet, but he doesn't know how - stone cold sober too ! I didn't see it happen, but found him sprawled out on the floor in the hall, bleeding profusely from a nasty elbow wound. He couldn't move his one leg, and X-rays revealed that he'd broken his femur. He's had an op. and tomorrow the doctors and I will decide which type of care will be best for him until he's back on his feet. The irony was that we'd just returned from hospital, where he'd had a scan, and he ended up back there again that evening.

      Delete
    3. Ouch, that's sounds really nasty. It will be some time before he's running around again. I would trade him in and get yourself a dog!

      Delete