21 June 2017

Who Let The Dogs Out



Philippe, our neighbour, has four dogs.  When they are not locked up in his kennels they are left to roam and explore the neighbourhood.  They are all bitches and they are all madly in love with Rick. This morning we set off for our early walk and were immediately joined by the chasse hounds, Diane and Sybelle.  Rick was not in the slightest bit fazed, even though we had to keep him on his leash while the others ran loose.  We adjusted our route to stay away from the roads as the other dogs do not have good road sense.  I rather hope this doesn’t become a regular pack walk.

On the way home the sole of my trainer started to come apart, I ended up having to walk in a most peculiar manner as I flipped and flopped along.  I might try and mend it with some super glue but as they are nearly a decade old we decided to take a quick trip to the shoe shop this afternoon (nothing else to do in this heat) and buy ourselves some sturdy walking boots.  I have never owned a pair of proper walking boots in my life!  The ones I bought are very comfortable but look like they belong on a building site!  

The temperature has reached 36 degrees outside.  We have the fans running indoors and are considering switching on the air con unit.  Unfortunately I have just discovered a bat sleeping on the window sill; this is the window that has been modified for the air con unit outlet hose and I can’t bring myself to disturb him. I might have to get myself a cold beer instead.

bat on the window sill



17 comments:

  1. Plimsolls are great. Why walking boots? Is Rick taking you to the Ardeche?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an idea, he would love a canoe ride down the Ardeche. Walkers all wear boots around here, probably because of the long grass, ticks, snakes, etc.

      Delete
  2. Very trusting of that bat to take a nap there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he may have been accidentally deposited there when we closed the shutters this morning. He's just woken up and flown off into the dusk now.

      Delete
  3. I'm afraid the bat would be out of luck if it were me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the bat was alive - he looked pretty dead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't move much all day but he was definitely alive.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure Rick would be fine just running around. I only put Bok on his lead if we have to walk along a road. As long as he's reasonably obedient....

    It's going to be hotter today. I'm off to the airport again; one deposit, one return lift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're just a bit nervous until we know him a bit better. Visions of him racing back to Cahors! Hope you got air con in the car.

      Delete
    2. Yes, but I prefer two open windows, and a sunburnt left arm.

      Delete
  6. At least the bat not in the log burner this time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's Sheffield for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 36 and you only considered putting the aircon on ? I would have had it on early in the day and have camped out inside for the day. A very pleasant Winters day here 24 degrees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't disturb that little bat. Aircon running this afternoon and yes, we are camped out inside!

      Delete