11 June 2017

A Day In June


Young Roe Deer Buck | by Alan MacKenzie


I was up very early this morning to water the garden before the heat of the day.  As I walked around the end of the barn I was surprised to see two young deer happily grazing away at the edge of the potager.  One looked up, tottered towards me on his spindly legs, and then turned back to continue with his grazing; they both just seemed totally unfazed by my presence. It was a magical start to my day.

Paul has continued digging and mixing cement and working in the hot sun.  All I can do is make sure he drinks plenty and doesn’t get sun stroke.  The foundations are now laid so tomorrow he can start building the pillars.


I picked another load of raspberries this morning.  I simmered the fruit for a few minutes with some sugar and a dash of Cassis liqueur and then tipped the mixture over some pieces of bread in ramekins to make mini summer puddings.  Should be good with some pouring cream.

















I have to admit that for part of the day I have been reading under the shade of our hazelnut tree and trying to keep cool.  I feel very guilty!

this monster was in the hazelnut tree, just above my head

14 comments:

  1. no guilt for enjoying some reading time! Ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't help feeling guilty when Paul is toiling away in the heat.

      Delete
  2. Love that idea for mini summer puds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really easy to do and you don't need much fruit.

      Delete
  3. Seeing families of deer always feels special. Usually we see them at night standing by the road around here, but one summer my husband and I went camping on a barrier island and the deer would casually walk around in the daytime, unfazed by people. But the whole island is a state park so they've been safe for generations. I would love to see a little fawn!

    The raspberry pudding looks delicious and I like the color.

    Never feel guilty about reading under a tree in the summertime. Life is short and it's impossible to do too much of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Roe Deer keep calendars. As soon as the shooting season is over they become quite nonchalant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could be right. They are funny when they are hiding in the long grass and you can see their ears sticking up, a bit of a giveaway.

      Delete
  5. It all sounds quite lovely. I gather it has gone hot again. We are home again to nice rain and cool weather.
    Can you explain to me exactly what a " postage r " is ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potager is the French word for vegetable garden.

      Delete
  6. Nope, I wouldn't feel in the least bit guilty sitting in the shade and reading ! Though for once I'd probably refrain from useful advice...

    ReplyDelete
  7. When Paul's pillars are complete, he should change his name to Hercules. Hercules was married to Megara, the daughter of Kreo, King of Thebes who spent most of her time sitting under a tree eating grapes and drinking flagons of wine.

    ReplyDelete