4 June 2017

Chocolate Cake


It's a messy business grating beetroot but well worth it for the finished result.  I made my annual chocolate and beetroot cake yesterday.  I reduced the amount of butter and sugar (increased the beetroot) and it still came out beautifully rich, moist and chocolatey.  I have frozen most of the cake and it will last me for the whole summer because Paul doesn't eat it, he says it's too rich for him. He prefers my buns.


A big yellow van has just pulled up on Philippe's driveway and two men in white suits climbed out.  They are both wearing beekeeper outfits.  It must be his brother from Paris delivering the beehives for their summer placement in the family's chestnut woods.

If only the rest of the world could be as quiet, safe and peaceful as this place.


11 comments:

  1. I've just come back from gathering Girolles in the woods; even that couldn't take my mind off the atrocities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard not to be affected by the horrific news.

      Delete
  2. Your cake: is the beet cooked or raw when you grate it? I suspect this is a bit like using zucchini in muffins and cakes, to add moisture and cut back on other ingredients. Don't even know what to say about the attacks. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I boil the beetroot for about fifteen minutes until just tender. It adds a natural sweetness to the cake and works wonderfully with the chocolate.

      Delete
  3. Had no idea you could use beetroot to make a chocolate cake, but seeing as you can use carrots, why not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it. Makes me feel less guilty about eating chocolate cake.

      Delete
  4. Mmmm - it looks good !
    Why, of why, can't we live in harmony and peace with one another - is it too much to ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess some people are not content with peace and harmony.

      Delete
  5. It's so nice when a husband admires his wife's buns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds yummy and yes like you I wish the rest of the world was as peaceful as yours.

    ReplyDelete