10 June 2017

Hot Work



Paul's playroom
 Hottest day of the year so far I reckon.  I just went to close the big shutters to keep the dining room cool but couldn’t bring myself to disturb the bat roosting behind the shutter; I pulled the curtains across instead.


Paul was up at the crack of dawn to start work on the gate pillars.  I had underestimated the amount of work involved. He spent the morning digging a deep hole which he then filled with cement and metal rods.  I tried to help by shifting barrow loads of soil lifted from the hole.  It was hot work.  The process will be repeated tomorrow for the second pillar.


I have tried to keep busy today, I can’t possibly sit around sun bathing or reading while Paul is toiling away.  I decided to make soup from the mountain of courgettes gathered from the garden

 





 











We had lunch out on the terrace today.  Our big, handsome green/turquoise lizard made a brief appearance, he was sunning himself on the lavender bush.  I just wasn’t quick enough with the camera.



Time for me to go and help bash some fence posts in now. 







13 comments:

  1. I feel guilty that Mac has done most of the heavy work around the pool, my only contribution was a checkbook for someone else to do some of the work and pulling weeds. Of course when all is done I'm the one who keeps the pool clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I supplied plenty of cold drinks. I'm just not strong enough these days to do the heavy work.

      Delete
  2. Not the hottest day of the year, but certainly the hottest since you've been back. I've just finished two hours of mowing..... I shall have a cup of green tea, and a biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a beautiful day. I might have to get on the mower tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. My brother and I did a similar job at my previous house. On an English summer's day. One post hole per day for us too, Not concrete posts though, my gates came with metal posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three wooden posts in and half a pillar.

      Delete
  4. I hope you offered the lizard some of your courgette soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't like courgette soup.

      Delete
    2. Which soup does the lizard prefer?

      Delete
    3. Grasshopper soup (with plenty of garlic.)

      Delete
  5. Still waiting for the consistent heat to show up; I think we hit the 80's on Wed., and hopefully the end of the June gloom after that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our hot, sunny days are leading up to stormy weather.

      Delete
  6. Whilst you and Paul are post bashing, I think I'll just go and sit in your chair and watch !

    ReplyDelete