28 February 2024

Project

It's time for my next project.  I always like to have some sort of project in the pipeline although this does make Paul slightly nervous;  I can't fathom why.

About ten years ago we both did a course together - upholstery.  We bought a couple of tatty antique chairs from a local auction, lugged them along to the course centre once a week where we were shown how to strip them back, restore and re-cover them.  The chairs needed new springs and webbing and the horsehair stuffing was carefully washed (in a pillowcase in the washing machine) and re-used. It was back breaking work but we were quite proud of the finished items and they fitted in nicely with our rustic farmhouse in France.  


the old chair was in a terrible state


new replacement webbing and springs 

finished chair in our French home

At the moment one chair is in the attic and the other one is situated in the hallway by the front door.  It still looks very smart but ..... the fabric is a bit boring.   I feel it needs jazzing up a bit to fit in with my more contemporary home.  Time for me to gather my tools and re-cover it!

hammer has magnetic end to hold tack

essential tools


Stripping the fabric has been tricky, I had previously hammered those tacks in too well!  I have a tool for levering them out but you have to be really careful not to damage the wood.  I also need to keep the fabric pieces whole so that I can use them as templates for the new fabric.  Did I mention the new fabric?  Animal print of course!



16 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the finished chair!!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new fabric is due to arrive tomorrow so hopefully you won't have to wait too long.

      Delete
  2. Look forward to seeing the finished chair, too.
    I used to love a project, but these days everything has more or less been done and I don't want to start on anything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just wondering if I've still got the energy and patience to do this particular project!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I just can't help myself! I promise this will be the last animal print allowed in the house.

      Delete
  4. Aren't you handy and talented? I would never attempt such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not particularly talented but always willing to have a go.

      Delete
  5. I love the chair and look forward seeing your re-invention. Recently at a coffee shop, they had collected many antique furniture pieces (wood framed couches and chairs) and refinished them with various heavy fabrics. Some single chairs were covered in an unusual shiny animal print vinyl held in place with brass tacks. It looked surprisingly good and I am sure will hold-up in a high use cafe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to be able to re-cycle old pieces of furniture.

      Delete
  6. I admire your bravery in tackling such a "hands-on" project. It should be easier this time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always so tricky cutting the fabric around the arms, one cut too deep and the fabric is wasted.

      Delete
  7. I have a half-completed project like that in France. Yours looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you doing both chairs, one for the Hall and one for the Jungle Bedroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the hall chair for now, although I might relocate it when it's finished.

      Delete