10 February 2024

Should Have Listened to Mum

 

Sarah, encouraged by her sister and dad, started cycling when she returned to the UK and is now passionate about the sport. Her new partner, Andrew, is also a keen cyclist and they spend a lot of time mountain biking and road biking together.


One warm summer's evening last year she told me they were going out for a ride.  I suggested that it might be nicer to spend the evening in her garden with a cool beer but she was determined to go out.  Cycling is not without risk and unfortunately Sarah came a cropper that evening when she fell heavily on the road after hitting some loose gravel. As well as grazing her legs she sustained a nasty cut to her elbow. Andrew cleaned her up and put a dressing on her elbow but I told her to call in on her way to work the next morning so that I could clean it up thoroughly and put some steri-strips on it.



The following morning I carefully removed the dressing from her elbow and immediately thought “I can't do this”. It was a messy cut, and clearly needed irrigating to remove any remnants of gravel. I didn't really have the kit to do this but also, it was going to hurt and I just couldn't bring myself to cause discomfort to my own daughter. In my defence she was going to need a tetanus injection anyway so Paul took her off to the A&E department at our local hospital.



She had to wait a few hours at the hospital because they wanted to x-ray her elbow to check there wasn't a fracture but they cleaned the wound, steri-stripped it and did the tetanus injection. It healed without any complications although she has a scar.
I'm still surprised that I felt so queasy when I saw her injury. I must be going soft in my old age.


14 comments:

  1. Sarah can share gravel scars with Kat now. I remember Kat coming a cropper a couple of years ago if I am not mistaken. I am sure Sarah healed much quicker after the visit to A&E and the cleaning of the wound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You remember well. Kat hit gravel on a bend and broke her collar bone. They are both gravel wary now.

      Delete
  2. Ouch! Glad she got it cleaned up properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Sarah is on the mend. As far as I remember from the past she is brave and so special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's fine, she's a tough little bunny.

      Delete
  4. As a retired nurse I could draw blood, give injections...clean and stich wounds all day but when it comes to someone I love, it's a bit harder. It's love...
    Poor Sarah!
    Poor You!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Road gravel/sand/holes seem to be the cause of biking falls and injuries. There is a bike club that loves the quiet country roads in Concord and Carlisle, MA, US and our ambulance/police log list calls weekly. There is always one bike accident. I'm glad Sarah is healing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to ride some fantastic trails in France but the terrain could change so quickly. So scary when suddenly hitting sand and the back of the bike would just go.

      Delete
  6. The only time I fell off was on the Undercliff Path between Brighton and Rottingdean. I ran over a pebble; and BANG! I send Sarah my commiserations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tipped slowly but heavily sideways onto the ground once when my shoe lace got tangled in the chain mechanism. I wear laceless shoes now.

      Delete
  7. Poor Sarah, it's definitely a case of mother knows best!

    ReplyDelete