7 February 2024

Garden Room

 


The garden room has always been my favourite room with its vaulted ceiling and light, south facing aspect. In summer I like to sit with the large patio windows wide open and enjoy the sounds and scents wafting in from the garden. We haven't done anything to the room during the five years we have been here, I liked the Laura Ashley birds of paradise wallpaper but the wall lights were a bit old fashioned and Paul said the pine panelled ceiling was very dark and dated. Eventually I decided it was time to redecorate but I did warn Paul that the room would look very different!


orangey pine ceiling and old fashioned lights


First thing was to get the electrician in to remove the wall lights. Then we arranged for Colin the Decorator to come and paint and paper the room. Paul has always done the work himself before now but the vaulted ceiling was a step too far. It was the right decision because the ceiling took no less than four coats of white paint to cover the orangey pine.


work in progress


Mural?” Colin said, “I've never done one of those before!” Well, there's always a first time. I had decided that I wanted a flavour of an Edwardian orangery so I had found a classic botanical mural for the length of one wall. The ceiling would be painted white with one cross beam left unpainted and clad to resemble solid oak. I had sleepless nights wondering what the heck this was going to look like!



garden room mural - no trace of Laura Ashley



Well I am delighted with the result. Paul did an excellent job with the 'oak beam'. Colin said he really enjoyed putting the mural up (especially after four days of painting a white ceiling).


a shame about the air con unit fixed to the wall but it's essential in hot weather

The sofas are perhaps not ideal for the room but they are so comfortable I am never getting rid of them. It's still my favourite room.


the mural looks even better in the evening with the lamps on


15 comments:

  1. I love the mural. Could you explain, did Colin paint it straight on to wall? You say "he enjoyed putting it up". I don't understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes in a roll, like wallpaper. The sheets are numbered in sequence with cut lines so you can't go wrong really.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for explaining. I always thought murals were painted directly on to walls so I was puzzled by your wording of "putting it up". So it is a wallpaper mural. It is lovely. I had spotted it in one of your photos recently on Instagram I think and thought it looked great.

      Delete
  2. It all looks lovely. I like the " oak" beam and the mural.
    One of my sons is contemplating stripping overpainted anaglypta from a large room in his new house. Looks like a big job to me! ( it's on the ceiling too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a nightmare task, I don't envy him that job.

      Delete
  3. Wow! What a transformation. Both you and Sarah are very artistic. I love the oak beam. So much better than before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beam turned out better than I had expected. I'm so pleased we didn't paint it white.

      Delete
  4. We had a Black Forest mural in our playroom (popular in the '80s). Took it down when we remodeled. Love yours! Beautiful room...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually painted a Jungle Book mural from scratch for the girls playroom in the '80's. I wouldn't have the energy to do it nowadays.

      Delete
  5. Your garden room is beautifully styled. Love the double height and ceiling beams. It brings the outside in with the wall of glass and patio access a step away. The mural greenery is fantastic. Tiny flowers (aka, Laura Ashley) be gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, not a trace of Laura Ashley remains.

      Delete
  6. It's like having your own slice of jungle. It looks great; well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you, I might re-christen it the Palm Lounge!

      Delete