8 February 2024

Thursday

 
I went back to bed after breakfast this morning. It was snowing outside, not pretty snow but wet, slushy stuff. It is very rare for me to do this but I crept back under the quilt and read my book for half an hour or so. Although I have been retired for 18 years I still feel guilty about having a lie in. I'm usually up just after six, eager for my bowl of porridge and cup of tea in readiness for the day ahead.

Daughter Kat is driving back home from Cosford in Shropshire to Odiham today after a week's course. They are finishing early due to the snow forecast, I shall worry about her until I know she's home safe.
I eventually got up, showered and dressed, did some ironing and made a beef ragu for tomorrow's dinner. The snow has got heavier but still not settling. We had salad for lunch, cheese toasties would have been nicer but we try to eat healthy.

Paul was gallant this afternoon and took Rick out for his walk in the blizzard (I usually do the afternoon walk). Poor boy, he was very wet and cold when he got back so I rubbed him down by the fire. Rick, not Paul.










Kat has arrived home safe and sound. Now I can relax.





15 comments:

  1. No matter how old our children get, we can't help worrying about them!
    What a sweet photo of your dog by the fire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Rick he really does look like the original shaggy dog! Good for Paul - taking him out in such dire weather. I would have stayed at home in the warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to do my share of the dog walks but it was really horrid out this afternoon.

      Delete
    2. There is only me, so if I decide I don't fancy walking Paca in rotten weather, we don't go out! She hates the rain, and as it's wet today for the first time in weeks, she rushed out for a quick "break" between showers and dashed back in again. No stopping to chase any cats that might be lurking.

      Delete
  3. You must have needed a bit more rest today. Oddly enough I did too. I was up at 6 AM and back to rest until 10 AM. Today will be a short day. We can not be perfect every day. Right? Sweet Rick must have loved his wipe down by the fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He absolutely loves being rubbed dry when he gets wet.

      Delete
  4. Once I'm up I can't go back to bed again. I still wake up at 6 everyday but I often turn over and go back to sleep until 8 though. Today's weather has been awful here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always got up at 6.00 so it's difficult to break the habit. I have a 'Lumi' lamp that wakes me up gently. The weather today just made me want to hibernate.

      Delete
  5. Billy wore his coat again yesterday. In fact it hardly rained, but that doesn't stop his legs and arms from getting filthy. A good rub-down, then exiled to his bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick's got a coat but it doesn't quite cover his bottom, he needs a longer size really.

      Delete
  6. After getting my ability to Comment back, I am able to commiserate on Soggy Doggies.
    My dog charge is a Springer/Poodle and the wet (and mud) just wicks up his arms and legs. But they have to go out rain, shine, sleet and today here snowy bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick's undercarriage always gets wet and muddy.

      Delete
  7. Paul might have enjoyed a rub down in front of the fire !!

    ReplyDelete