21 February 2024

Night Shift

Just as we finished our coffee break yesterday morning we received an SOS call from Sarah.  Could we pick her up from work and drive her home.  After a 15 hour night shift she was too tired to drive safely.



Sarah is still employed by her Sydney company and normally works regular British time office hours but occasionally, during conference events, she is required to work Australian hours and long shifts.  It is not feasible for her to work from home because of the amount of kit she uses for video editing but I always feel a bit nervous about her working in an empty building on her own all night and we have always said that we would taxi her home if she felt it wasn't safe to drive in the morning.  These events happen about three times a year and I'm always relieved when they're over.


Some people work night shifts on a permanent basis and adapt well to the lifestyle.   They might choose to do these unsocial hours because it fits in well with childcare or perhaps they need the extra bonus that these shifts attract.  Personally, I have worked a few night shifts in my lifetime and I absolutely hated them.  I can sleep all day and still feel like a zombie at night.  As student nurses we had no choice, night shifts were part of our rotation.  If it was a quiet shift we struggled to stay awake and keep watch while our patients slept - a busy night was so much easier.  What I really dreaded was being sent to fetch blood packs from the deserted laboratory in the middle of the night, it was just so spooky.  Or walking past the morgue to get to the canteen for the plate of greasy egg and chips that was served up for night workers.


I am so grateful that I can now go to bed when I choose and sleep all night.  





10 comments:

  1. Most accidents happen late at night because the driver fell asleep at the wheel...good choice to pick her up...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah knows she can always ask us to collect her and is wise enough to do so after a really long night shift.

      Delete
  2. One of the best jobs I ever had was as a nightwatchman in a caravan factory. It was so peaceful and I could study without interruption. It's nice that even though Sarah is a grown woman, you and Paul are still there for her. I guess one day the tables might turn and she'll be pushing you up Steep Hill in a double wheelchair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wheelchairs and Steep Hill don't really go together!

      Delete
  3. It really is best not to drive when tired. Safety first. I have never worked nights and probably would fail miserably as I fall asleep nightly at 10-11PM and sleep soundly until the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my regular sleep routine, usually fast asleep by 11.00 pm. I get very grumpy if I don't get my 8 hours.

      Delete
  4. I can understand your concern. It would be good if her employers paid for a taxi to take her home, especially as it's not a regular occurrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would do so but it's easier for Sarah to ask mum and dad!

      Delete
  5. When I was on the London Stock Exchange, every other Tuesday we worked almost through the night. I lived on the South Coast at the time which made life very difficult. If I did make it home, it was usually time to set off again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have been easier if you had slept at your desk!

      Delete